Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Anybody ever build or use this case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5?

I have it still in the box, am am wondering if it's "sturdy/robust" enough. It was cheap @ Newegg. But now, I'm thinking of upgrading to a better case if the Centurion is gonna be problematic. I'd appreciate any advice/experiences pro or con. Thanks.

Fireheart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I don't know, since I've never worked with the Centurion...

You could always ask the fans and mod-junkies on the Cooler Master Forums:
http://www.coolermaster.com/phpBB2/index.php

Of course, they'll probably tell you that the case is nearly bulletproof - that is certainly what I've heard, that then Centurion is a good, solid case.

Be Well!
Fireheart

wicsteel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I have one... Very nice case for the price. Plastic clips for pci ports are scetchy, but you can use screws if you dont want to use the clips. A little tight with the 8800gtx, leaves less than an inch from the hard drives but still keeps everything pretty cool. Hauled it to a few LAN's already and dont need to worry about it cause it seems pretty hefty. Front fan is a little noisy but not to bad but all in all i would recommend it. For 50 bones its a smokin deal.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I agree with wicsteel. Anything in question can be solved with a screw instead of the plastic clips. I have built roughly 40 PC's and (laughing at myself now that I realized this) 25 or so have been in Centurion series cases. Most people I build for want a cheap case and to have it be sturdy and not dramatic looking, some even want a window which I can give to them for a $50 I love the quality. I know one kid who isn't real careful and has dropped his more than once and it still does the job.

Haven't put any 8800's in one, but cool to know it fits.

wicsteel

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I agree with wicsteel. Anything in question can be solved with a screw instead of the plastic clips. I have built roughly 40 PC's and (laughing at myself now that I realized this) 25 or so have been in Centurion series cases. Most people I build for want a cheap case and to have it be sturdy and not dramatic looking, some even want a window which I can give to them for a $50 I love the quality. I know one kid who isn't real careful and has dropped his more than once and it still does the job.

Haven't put any 8800's in one, but cool to know it fits.

Have you done any aftermarket cooling in this case? I was looking at getting this Tuniq - Tower 120. Do you think it will fit?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I have one... Very nice case for the price. Plastic clips for pci ports are scetchy, but you can use screws if you dont want to use the clips. A little tight with the 8800gtx, leaves less than an inch from the hard drives but still keeps everything pretty cool. Hauled it to a few LAN's already and dont need to worry about it cause it seems pretty hefty. Front fan is a little noisy but not to bad but all in all i would recommend it. For 50 bones its a smokin deal.

Do you have to do any drilling/modding to use screws - hell, I would always prefer screws - I don't see why people seem to like clips. I want tight and secure.

What about those plastic "slides" for the HDD and Optical Drives - are they adequate/secure :?:

I'm not even sure how they're suspose to work without screws - never mounted/secured a HDD without screws somewhere.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
The slides work well, I was surprised at first. They're only on one side, and they hold the drives as good as screws.

So the HDD's are only secured on one side? I couldn't get access to the cage from the back - I don't think the mb tray is removeable, is it?

Pic's would be great ... thanks :D

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Didn't seem like the drive cages could be removed. Are they removeable? How do you get access to those opposite side screws with the mb tray in the way.

I've only looked at this box once - so it didn't seems all that "flexible". I thought the drive cages were locked in and (opposite side) extremely hard to get to. Did I read this case wrong?

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I helped my friend put together a machine in this case. I had a Lian Li, and I was surprised at the build quality. Very sturdy, but not too heavy.

The clips for securing the hard drive worked great, didn't wobble at all. Once it was up and running, very quiet.

We both liked it a lot. You won't be disappointed.

bliq

Distinguished
I've got a Centurion 532(?) and it's a pretty good case. I've taken things out of slots several times and the plasic clips still work just fine. I've got no regrets, esp given I bought it for $39 new.