Stoppin IE Popup's via GP

Ron

Hi all,

we have a locked down kiosk pc that is used by the public to get information
on our products when they come in to the store

**brief explanation of kiosk - this is a Windows XP SP1 PC that runs
internet explorer as the windows shell, which means that the public can use
it to browse our intranet and certain external web sites. However the IE
runs in full screen mode and cannot be closed in any way **

This is where the problem arises, when public go to an external site, some
sites load popup advertisments etc and as the kiosk is locked down and
internet explorer windows cannot be closed the popups simply keep opening
and opening and opening... you see what I am getting at ! we have dozens
of popups open !

Can the popups be stopped from opening by something in our Windows 2003
group policy that locks down the liosk ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Ron-
XP, SP2's version of IE supports popup blocking and this can be controlled
via GP. If you're not running SP2, then you would have to rely on a 3rd
party popup blocker to handle this.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:55:44 -0000, "Ron" <tasselhoff@thisisnotreal.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>we have a locked down kiosk pc that is used by the public to get information
>on our products when they come in to the store
>
>**brief explanation of kiosk - this is a Windows XP SP1 PC that runs
>internet explorer as the windows shell, which means that the public can use
>it to browse our intranet and certain external web sites. However the IE
>runs in full screen mode and cannot be closed in any way **
>
>This is where the problem arises, when public go to an external site, some
>sites load popup advertisments etc and as the kiosk is locked down and
>internet explorer windows cannot be closed the popups simply keep opening
>and opening and opening... you see what I am getting at ! we have dozens
>of popups open !
>
>Can the popups be stopped from opening by something in our Windows 2003
>group policy that locks down the liosk ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Cheers

If you install SP2, it contains a pop-blocker you can configure with GP.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com