NWN: are my serial numbers cross-platform?

Last response: in Video Games
September 28, 2004 3:34:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.games.adventure,alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

NWN Platinum is $40, whereas original NWN Mac
is $45 and the expansions are $30 each.

Gritting my teeth, I have a practical question:

Will the serial(s) from Platinum work on a Mac...
for SoU? for HotU? for NWN original?

Thanks in advance.

More about : nwn serial numbers cross platform

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 5:18:33 PM

Racy Snafu I <foo@bar.invalid> wrote:

> Will the serial(s) from Platinum work on a Mac...

Mac NWN Serials are built from uppercase letters and digits like this:
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
If your PC serial follows this formula, chances are good it will work.
What won't work, though, is the *PC-software*.:p
So you'll end up bying the Mac version anyhow, including proper working
Mac serials.

Have a nice karma

Rainer
September 30, 2004 5:29:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.games.adventure,alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

In article <1gkvlya.aj9xdnp4itcN%R.Udelhoven@t-online.de>,
R.Udelhoven@t-online.de (Rainer Udelhoven) wrote:

> Racy Snafu I <foo@bar.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Will the serial(s) from Platinum work on a Mac...
>
> Mac NWN Serials are built from uppercase letters and digits like this:
> xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
> If your PC serial follows this formula, chances are good it will work.
> What won't work, though, is the *PC-software*.:p
> So you'll end up bying the Mac version anyhow, including proper working
> Mac serials.

The expansion data files are cross platform, so pc versions of SoU and
HotU can be installed on the mac version of NWN without problems. You
won't get official support from MacSoft, but the expansions run fine.

More info here:
http://tinyurl.com/5qpwk
http://tinyurl.com/2lo2y

> Have a nice karma
>
> Rainer
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 5:29:32 AM

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:29:31 +1200, no@spam.please (Jeremy) wrote:

>In article <1gkvlya.aj9xdnp4itcN%R.Udelhoven@t-online.de>,
>R.Udelhoven@t-online.de (Rainer Udelhoven) wrote:
>
>> Racy Snafu I <foo@bar.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> > Will the serial(s) from Platinum work on a Mac...
>>
>> Mac NWN Serials are built from uppercase letters and digits like this:
>> xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
>> If your PC serial follows this formula, chances are good it will work.
>> What won't work, though, is the *PC-software*.:p
>> So you'll end up bying the Mac version anyhow, including proper working
>> Mac serials.
>
>The expansion data files are cross platform, so pc versions of SoU and
>HotU can be installed on the mac version of NWN without problems. You
>won't get official support from MacSoft, but the expansions run fine.

I agree - I played both expansions last year on my Powerbook. I got
NWN for Mac when it arrived in August, but used the PC versions of the
expansions. Works great - recently picked up NWN for the PC for cheap
on eBay, and have installed the expansions there as well - everything
is portable. So I can put my saves on my iDisk, and play the game
from my PC or Powerbook.

Mike
!