donating old computer

I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
operating system?
8 answers Last reply
More about donating computer

    "Pat Jennings" <patjennings@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
    >erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
    >operating system?

    it depends which OS you want to get rid of
    and which OS you want to reload

    if you merely wish to erase then reload win98 however
    just format the drive,
    then reload

    Pat Jennings wrote:
    > I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
    > erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
    > operating system?

    To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
    and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
    be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
    protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
    (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
    U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
    drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    applications.

    A search of Google will also undoubtedly turn up a few more options.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    If you are worried about security just install a copy of Linux. That will
    essentially render the previous info on the drive unrecoverable without
    specialized software. Other than that just do a clean install of the
    operating system. As this is an XP newsgroup I'm assuming you will be
    reloading Windows XP. Go here to learn how to do a Clean install
    http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Pat Jennings" <patjennings@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
    > erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
    > operating system?

    The organization will probably reinstall the operating system to protect
    themselves from items that may be left on the hard drive. I would just
    reformat the hard drive and let them handle the reinstallation. This was
    told to me when I donated a computer to "Computers for Schools".

    "Pat Jennings" <patjennings@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
    >erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
    >operating system?

    "Pat Jennings" <patjennings@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do
    >I erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back
    >an operating system?

    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    It's free.

    To boot from a floppy to wipe all drives:

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN"): A self-contained boot floppy that
    securely
    wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and
    completely
    delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it
    an
    appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

    "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Pat Jennings" <patjennings@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
    >>erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
    >>operating system?
    >>

    > http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    > It's free.
    >
    > To boot from a floppy to wipe all drives:
    >
    > http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN"): A self-contained boot floppy that securely
    > wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and
    > completely
    > delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an
    > appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

    Out of curiosity, why would any normal user need "emergency data
    destruction"?

    "Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    > > "Pat Jennings" <patjennings@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >>I wish to donate a computer no longer in use. Before doing so, how do I
    > >>erase or format the disk, eliminating all files and then loading back an
    > >>operating system?
    > >>

    > > http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    > > It's free.
    > >
    > > To boot from a floppy to wipe all drives:
    > >
    > > http://dban.sourceforge.net/
    > >
    > > Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN"): A self-contained boot floppy that
    securely
    > > wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and
    > > completely
    > > delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it
    an
    > > appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
    > >

    > Out of curiosity, why would any normal user need "emergency data
    > destruction"?

    Define "normal user" ;-)

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >> Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN"): A self-contained boot floppy that
    >> securely
    >> wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and
    >> completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect,
    >> which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data
    >> destruction.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, why would any normal user need "emergency data
    > destruction"?

    Contact the author at the sourceforge.net site to ask him what he meant
    by that statement.

Windows XP