Olympus camera to Dell Axim

April 19, 2005 4:20:44 PM

Hi Group,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm trying to find a
wireless way to transfer pictures from an Olympus camera (C-770 ultra
zoom) to a Dell Axim X50v. (The camera appears as a USB mass storage
device to a desktop computer) The X50v has bluetooth and 802.11b on
board. A wired transfer of the photos doesn't seem possible because
the Axim is not capable of acting as a host to a USB peripheral.
It seems like all the USB to wireless modules out there are capable of
making a desktop computer either bluetooth or 802.11 enabled. Is there
a module in the marketplace that will make a peripheral (like the
camera) bluetooth or 802.11 enabled so it can be accessed from the
Axim?
Thanks,
Matt Meerian
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:20:42 PM

<matt6ft9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Hi Group,
| I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm trying to find a
| wireless way to transfer pictures from an Olympus camera (C-770 ultra
| zoom) to a Dell Axim X50v. (The camera appears as a USB mass storage
| device to a desktop computer) The X50v has bluetooth and 802.11b on
| board. A wired transfer of the photos doesn't seem possible because
| the Axim is not capable of acting as a host to a USB peripheral.
| It seems like all the USB to wireless modules out there are capable of
| making a desktop computer either bluetooth or 802.11 enabled. Is there
| a module in the marketplace that will make a peripheral (like the
| camera) bluetooth or 802.11 enabled so it can be accessed from the
| Axim?
| Thanks,
| Matt Meerian

not sure if there is a way to make your camera wireless, but you can buy a
XD card to CF card adapter which would make it possible to simply put the
card from your camera directly into your Dell.

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/xdpiccarad.html
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:04:26 AM

Hi,
I should have said more about the end design. The goal is for the user
to take a picture, have it automatically downloaded to the Axim, and
then have the user be able to overlay some text on the bottom of the
picture. (The overlaying of the text on the photo is the simple part,
using Embedded Visual C++) To have the end user taking out the Xd
card after each photo, insert it into a compact flash to Xd adapter and
then inserting the CF adapter into the Axim is a bit tedious after
awhile. An automatic method using wired or wireless transfer of the
JPG to the Axim would be ideal.
thanks,
Matt Meerian
Related resources
April 20, 2005 11:56:41 AM

Pretty complicated, actually.

You can do something similar with a PC, running Cam2Com; but, the big
limitation AFAIK is that both the camera and the Axim are not able to
be a USB host. A bluetooth dongle won't work on the camera, it woon't
be a USB host and it doesn't have the software to utilize it. Some of
the very high end digital SLR's are supposed to be coming out bluetooth
enabled, but I don't know whether that's for transferring pictures or
just for controls.

The thing to do would be to buy a CF USB host adapter (in the US$150
range) or get one of the host-capable PPC's (there's a couple of Ipaqs,
along with the LOOX and the old Toshibas that can) and then port
something like Cam2Com to Windows Mobile. A daunting process,
especially since the Cam2Com guy isn't interested in further
development, AFAIK.

Good luck; I'd be interested if you figure anything out. You could try
to post to rec.photo.digital too; they'd be the ones who would know
about anything like this, but right now there's a big flamewar going on
there that makes it hard to follow anything.

ECM
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:12:22 PM

What about syncing the clocks on both devices and generating an app that
initializes a photo data input record on the ppc when the user taps a
button at the time the image is snapped or a specific ir input is
received from the camera.

The user could either input the text at that time or later, then the
data could be associated with the image file time stamp or the time date
in the exif data when transferred to either the ppc or a pc.

Curious why you wouldn't put the info directly into the image data
blocks rather than over the image itself?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:36:05 PM

Hi Beverly,
I like that idea. Kind of using the Pocket PC to hold the MetaData of
each individual photo. The MetaData could be overlaid on the photos
back at the desktop PC.
Update: Olympus has a Software Development Kit for the C-770. But,
It's for a windows desktop computer. (I'm going to look to see if it
could be ported over somehow to the Pocket PC platform)
Matt Meerian
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 8:58:35 PM

Good luck on your project!

fwiw, I have a related need in case you run across a solution.

I have about a thousand medium res jpeg images from a project stored on
a hard drive with the original jpeg image names being the only reference
back to high resolution originals stored on multiple CD's

A few months back, I experimented (without success) with several image
utilities in an attempt to batch insert each image's own filename into
the exif, iptc or comment fields so that it would contain a pointer back
to the original image on CD.

If you come across any utility that has this capability, I would
appreciate knowing it.

tia,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!