Transferring Files from one drive to another

Hi Everyone,
I've been purging and organizing my files, copying from the hard drive to
the floppy and vice versa. Each transfer is successful but in each instance I
get a message stating "The Target cannot handle this type of document". But I
click "OK" and everything appears fine. Can you tell me why this happens? And
should I do something to correct the problem?
I use WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium lll, 256MB RAM.
Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for all the help in the past.
Terry
--
Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.
7 answers Last reply

    What are you using to copy the data and what's the maximum file size so far?

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone,
    > I've been purging and organizing my files, copying from the hard drive to
    > the floppy and vice versa. Each transfer is successful but in each
    > instance I
    > get a message stating "The Target cannot handle this type of document".
    > But I
    > click "OK" and everything appears fine. Can you tell me why this happens?
    > And
    > should I do something to correct the problem?
    > I use WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium lll, 256MB RAM.
    > Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for all the help in the past.
    > Terry
    > --
    > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

    Hi Walter,
    Thank you for responding. I copy the files in Word by selecting the drive,
    arriving at the list of files and right-clicking. Then select "Move to". My
    apologies for being relatively inept but I'm not sure what you mean by
    "What's the maximum file size so far?" I have been working with new floppies
    and the files are each one or two pages of text.
    I hope this is the information you need in order to help.
    Terry

    "Walter Clayton" wrote:

    > What are you using to copy the data and what's the maximum file size so far?
    >
    > --
    > Walter Clayton
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >

    > "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Everyone,
    > > I've been purging and organizing my files, copying from the hard drive to
    > > the floppy and vice versa. Each transfer is successful but in each
    > > instance I
    > > get a message stating "The Target cannot handle this type of document".
    > > But I
    > > click "OK" and everything appears fine. Can you tell me why this happens?
    > > And
    > > should I do something to correct the problem?
    > > I use WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium lll, 256MB RAM.
    > > Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for all the help in the past.
    > > Terry
    > > --
    > > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

    In light of your new, additional information, Peaceworks, confirm that the
    Word files, etc, which you are attempting to copy to floppy disk will fit on
    the disk.

    Consider installing a CD-RW drive to do this task much more efficiently.
    760 MB on a CD disk vs. 1.44 MB on the floppy.
    Using a compression utility to transfer the files will afford even more
    storage ability.

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Hi Walter,
    > Thank you for responding. I copy the files in Word by selecting the drive,
    > arriving at the list of files and right-clicking. Then select "Move to".
    My
    > apologies for being relatively inept but I'm not sure what you mean by
    > "What's the maximum file size so far?" I have been working with new
    floppies
    > and the files are each one or two pages of text.
    > I hope this is the information you need in order to help.
    > Terry
    >
    > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    >
    > > What are you using to copy the data and what's the maximum file size so
    far?

    > > --
    > > Walter Clayton
    > > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > >

    > > "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Everyone,
    > > > I've been purging and organizing my files, copying from the hard drive
    > > > the floppy and vice versa. Each transfer is successful but in each
    > > > instance I
    > > > get a message stating "The Target cannot handle this type of
    document".
    > > > But I
    > > > click "OK" and everything appears fine. Can you tell me why this
    happens?
    > > > And
    > > > should I do something to correct the problem?
    > > > I use WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium lll, 256MB RAM.
    > > > Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for all the help in the
    past.
    > > > Terry
    > > > --
    > > > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

    You indirectly answered the size question. The maximum amount of data on a
    diskette is 1.4M. A couple of pages of a word doc will be less than that.

    I've never heard of some one moving files via Word before, but that's ok.
    Live and learn. I have Word 2003 on all my machines and I'm not seeing the
    problem you're having. Although I haven't done anything directly with
    diskette.

    Rather than using Word, use explorer/MyComputer to move the data around,
    unless you're needing to actually review data contents. Although it sounds
    like you're not looking at content, simply using the file picker in Word to
    move data around. Try explorer to see what happens.

    --
    Walter Clayton
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Walter,
    > Thank you for responding. I copy the files in Word by selecting the drive,
    > arriving at the list of files and right-clicking. Then select "Move to".
    > My
    > apologies for being relatively inept but I'm not sure what you mean by
    > "What's the maximum file size so far?" I have been working with new
    > floppies
    > and the files are each one or two pages of text.
    > I hope this is the information you need in order to help.
    > Terry
    >
    > "Walter Clayton" wrote:
    >
    >> What are you using to copy the data and what's the maximum file size so
    >> far?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter Clayton
    >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    >>

    >> "Peaceworks" <Peaceworks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Everyone,
    >> > I've been purging and organizing my files, copying from the hard drive
    >> > the floppy and vice versa. Each transfer is successful but in each
    >> > instance I
    >> > get a message stating "The Target cannot handle this type of document".
    >> > But I
    >> > click "OK" and everything appears fine. Can you tell me why this
    >> > happens?
    >> > And
    >> > should I do something to correct the problem?
    >> > I use WinXP Pro on an Intel Pentium lll, 256MB RAM.
    >> > Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for all the help in the
    >> > past.
    >> > Terry
    >> > --
    >> > Peaceis not to be pursued; it is a by-product of love.

    Salut/Hi Walter Clayton,

    le/on Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:29:36 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

    >You indirectly answered the size question. The maximum amount of data on a
    >diskette is 1.4M. A couple of pages of a word doc will be less than that.

    True, even though Word is a notorious waster of space. 1.44 million bytes is
    1.44 million characters. That's a fair sized book if it were in ascii.
    (Grin).

    Sorry - couldn't resist. I have just been explaining to my wife why a little
    file of a few thousand characters could suddenly grow like topsy just by
    being saved as RTF, and then grow again by being loaded into a
    wordprocessor, because of its capacity for saving much more information.

    I just did the experiment

    a file 18937 bytes in ascii became

    21185 as rtf - just by having one single font and size applies throughout
    the file.

    When loaded and saved as a wordperfect document the identical file took
    32271 bytes

    When loaded into Word and then saved as a word document, it took 47104
    bytes.

    OK, 46k is far more than 18k, but my document was about 10 partly empty
    pages. A 1.44 Mb diskette should hold 100 pages - even of Word document if
    it consisted of nothing but simple text!
    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

    Ian Hoare wrote:
    >> Salut/Hi Walter Clayton,
    >>
    >> le/on Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:29:36 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
    >>
    >>> You indirectly answered the size question. The maximum amount of data
    >>> on a diskette is 1.4M. A couple of pages of a word doc will be less
    >>> than that.
    >>
    >> True, even though Word is a notorious waster of space. 1.44 million
    >> bytes is
    >> 1.44 million characters. That's a fair sized book if it were in ascii.
    >> (Grin).
    >>
    >> Sorry - couldn't resist. I have just been explaining to my wife why a
    >> little file of a few thousand characters could suddenly grow like topsy
    >> just by being saved as RTF, and then grow again by being loaded into a
    >> wordprocessor, because of its capacity for saving much more information.
    >>
    >> I just did the experiment
    >>
    >> a file 18937 bytes in ascii became
    >>
    >> 21185 as rtf - just by having one single font and size applies
    >> throughout the file.
    >>
    >> When loaded and saved as a wordperfect document the identical file took
    >> 32271 bytes
    >>
    >> When loaded into Word and then saved as a word document, it took 47104
    >> bytes.
    >>
    >> OK, 46k is far more than 18k, but my document was about 10 partly empty
    >> pages. A 1.44 Mb diskette should hold 100 pages - even of Word document
    >> if it consisted of nothing but simple text!

    You might also add that 1,457,664 bytes on a FAT diskette is only 1.38MB.
    The
    standards with computer technology are really about close to none as one
    could expect.

    I prefer the Johnny Cochran method: "If it doesn't fit, you must then
    quit." :)

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    > Ian Hoare wrote:
    >>> Salut/Hi Walter Clayton,

    >>> True, even though Word is a notorious waster of space. 1.44 million
    >>> bytes is
    >>> 1.44 million characters. That's a fair sized book if it were in ascii.
    >>> (Grin).
    >>>
    >>> Sorry - couldn't resist. I have just been explaining to my wife why a
    >>> little file of a few thousand characters could suddenly grow like topsy
    >>> just by being saved as RTF, and then grow again by being loaded into a
    >>> wordprocessor, because of its capacity for saving much more information.
    >>>
    >>> I just did the experiment
    >>>
    >>> a file 18937 bytes in ascii became
    >>>
    >>> 21185 as rtf - just by having one single font and size applies
    >>> throughout the file.
    >>>
    >>> When loaded and saved as a wordperfect document the identical file took
    >>> 32271 bytes
    >>>
    >>> When loaded into Word and then saved as a word document, it took 47104
    >>> bytes.
    >>>
    >>> OK, 46k is far more than 18k, but my document was about 10 partly empty
    >>> pages. A 1.44 Mb diskette should hold 100 pages - even of Word document
    >>> if it consisted of nothing but simple text!
    >
    > You might also add that 1,457,664 bytes on a FAT diskette is only 1.38MB.
    > The
    > standards with computer technology are really about close to none as one
    > could expect.

Windows XP