Adding Trusted Sites using Group Policy

JC

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

As desribed at the foot of this message (from an earlier post) we've
used Group Policy to add an additional trusted site to the list of
trusted sites in Group Policy. (The person who normally does this is
off work sick). Now however, the result on the desktop is that there
are NO trusted sites - i.e. the listing in IE is blank. They are still
there in the Group Policy object - but nothing shows in IE. Removing
the additional entry makes no difference either. Anyone know what is
happening and how to fix it?
John Clayton

>Yes, you can configure Trusted sites via GPO.
>
>1. In a domain controller, click Start, Run and type "dsa.msc" to
open
>Active Directory Users and Computers.
>
>2. Right-click the OU or domain you want to apply the GPO and click
>Properties. Click the Group Policy tab.
>
>3. Create a Group Policy and Edit it.
>
>4. In Group Policy expand User Configuration -> Windows Settings ->
>Internet Explorer Maintenance -> Security -> Security Zones and
Content
>Ratings
>
>5. Under Security Zones, choose Import the current security zones
settings.
>Click Modify Settings. Add trusted sites. Click OK.
>
>6. Click OK and close Active Directory Users and Computers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser (More info?)

First of all, the GPO must be linked to an OU where the user objects reside
to get the policy.

You should run gpresult after logging in as the user, to see if the user
account is attempting to apply the GPO.

if gpresult.exe shows the policy applying, then check the user profile for
the policy file that contains the IE trusted sites. seczones.inf.....I
think. Open this file and verify the trusted sites are listed.

If the sites are listed, but the sites are not getting into IE, then create
a temp user, put the user into the OU, and login as the user on the
workstation. If the user applies the policy and the settings showup in IE,
then the original users profile is the problem.

--
Glenn L

CCNA, MCSE (2000,2003) + Security