Noncomputer-based networking problem

mwallace

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2005
I have a reverse KVM setup that allows two sets of keyboards, mice and monitors to control one computer. It uses two boxes -- one local and one remote -- that you connect via a Cat5 cable. Problem is, my remote box is a short-range box and my network cabling extends beyond its range.

My questions are:
1. Is there a device that can boost the networking signal somehow to allow so that the short-range box can pick up the signal in a long-range setting?

2. Is there a wireless solution? I tried using two wireless routers, but, without having them connected to a computer network, I couldn't get them to communicate with each other. They had a "static address" option. Would this do the trick?

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Unless the boxes you're using are KVM over IP, wireless routers aren't going to do you any good. What I think you have just uses the ethernet like an extension cord between the two KVM boxes. It sends pure electrical pulses over the ethernet cable, it doesn't run any type of network protocol such as TCP/IP.

If they are KVM over IP switches on the other hand, then you can extend them using switches just like you could for any type of network-enabled device.

I could give a more detailed answer if you could provide model #s or a link to the manufacturer's site.

mwallace

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2005
These work as you described. The Cat5 cable works as an extension cable between the two boxes. No network protocol involved. Sounds like I'm going to have to rerun my own, shorter line through the wall, somehow.

Here's a link to for the particular unit I have, in case you are interested.
http://www.minicom.com/kvm_duet.htm.

And thanks for your reply!

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
The link you provided says they go up to 800', that must be a pretty big building you have if that's not long enough! Or is the one you have a scaled down model?

It looks like rerouting the cable is going to be the only way to solve the problem. It might just be cheaper to upgrade to the longer range version...

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
That's a pretty neat KVM switch by the way. You can leave the PC downstair in the basement and have just the monitor, keyboard and mouse in the bedroom to avoid the noise and heat. Wonder how much it costs.

Hey, I wonder if you can use a power booster for TV antenna and cable. All what it does is to boost the RF signal and there is no TCP/IP involved. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowe.

mwallace

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2005
The one I have is the short-range version - 280 feet range. I spoke with tech support yesterday, and something he said gave me an idea. I was using a crossover network cable in my central junction box to connect the line comes from the first room to the line that leads to the other room. I assumed since I was getting some kind of video signal that I was using the right kind of cable.

Turns out I should have used a straight networking cable to make the connection. With the crossover cable, some of the video signal was getting through, but the crossover was preventing the rest of it. I switched it for a straight cable in the junction box and now I'm set. Everything works fine. I'm glad it was a simple solution.

Thanks for all your help.