Sign in with
Your question
Closed

When i access a folder my windows explorer needs a restart

Last response: in Windows 7
July 5, 2011 8:15:03 AM

hi
from few days back i have been experiencing a problem in my pc. when i access a certain folder in my hard disk, after 2-5 seconds i get a dialog box saying "windows explorer has stopped working" and i get two options "check online for help" and "restart windows explorer"
then i copied that folder to another destination and i could access it but the following days the new destination also started giving the same problem.

i used tools like "scan disk" and "defragmentation" but nothing helped.

any suggestion are appreciative.
thank you

Note: i use Win 7 64 bit unlimited
July 5, 2011 2:36:01 PM

so many views but no reply...damn! no 1 is familiar with this
Score
July 6, 2011 12:45:52 AM

The problem seems more that there are zillions of us with the same problem, zillions of posts if you Google and few answers that work for most of us.

In my case if I rename any file on desktop get the Explorer failure/restart - I tried an idea to have any folder change or opening start a new process but that doesn't work.

I also get the failure/restart often while looking at webpages. A friend of mine just called me and he is getting even when doing nothing on computer, even while away from it, but has to press the restart option when returns.

In my case Exployer usually automatically restarts after the failure notice.

Friend has also seen icons in bottom active program bar disappear other than the Start button. If gets no restart option has to reboot.

We both use Win 7 64 bit I have Ultimate with 6 gigs of memory he has the more basic version. I have run NOD32 antivirus and checked with others and malewarebits always clean. I have done the scan repair thing and most all of the other usual recommendeded suggestions on various boards.

Again zillions of folks have this problem it seems but no solution that actually seems to work for many of us.
Score
Related resources
July 6, 2011 1:45:18 AM

How long since your last reformat? Try a defrag perhaps? Is the motherboard getting to the age of replacement?
Score
July 6, 2011 4:00:43 AM

Win 7 and apps are on a very fast Intel SSD drive about 2 months old. I love how fast the rebooting - the bios stuff takes longer to load than windows with it on a SSD.

MB is Asus P6T Duluxe from about a year ago. Had same problem with old MB.

Friend has the same issue on a less than six month old Asus laptop.
Score
July 6, 2011 9:27:56 AM

the last time i formatted my pc was about 1 month ago.
recently i have been experiencing a new problem along with that.
for example i am watching a video clip, suddenly my computer will get a pause for 5 seconds and make WEIRD NOISE through the speakers.
while in that pause i cannot move my mouse, cant even see the cursor and the keyboard key press does not even work. after 5 secs its back to normal.
i use Gigabyte H67MA-D2H mobo.
Score
July 6, 2011 10:19:00 AM

To my amazement this SEEMS to have worked for me also. After about 12 hours no Explorer crash and the only thing that has stopped it from crashing when rename a file on desktop !

Follow these steps:

Click on the windows key (button with the windows logo on it).

Search for "Customer Experience Improvement Program" in the Search Bar.

Click on it, then choose "No" in the window that pops up.

The above suggestion found at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...
Score
July 6, 2011 10:32:30 AM

davephx said:
To my amazement this SEEMS to have worked for me also. After about 12 hours no Explorer crash and the only thing that has stopped it from crashing when rename a file on desktop !

Follow these steps:

Click on the windows key (button with the windows logo on it).

Search for "Customer Experience Improvement Program" in the Search Bar.

Click on it, then choose "No" in the window that pops up.

The above suggestion found at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

my one is already selected "NO"
Score
July 6, 2011 10:58:20 AM

ya i have suggestion, one of my friend have the same problem, he talk with the experts in hellopcsupport.com and the fix his problem u just try
i will give u the link...

http://www.hellopcsupport.com/

i think they can fix your problem easy

wish u all the best
Score
July 6, 2011 3:18:25 PM

It almost sounds like something is up with something communicating with the hard drive. Perhaps it's the controller itself? That is the only thing logically I could think of checking. Seatools is a great thing to use for hard drive checking; there are 2 different versions I use but cannot recall their versions at this moment. If you need the versions I could pop the CDs in and check, unless you have already used this program.
Score
July 6, 2011 3:50:58 PM

tell me a bit more about that software...i can download from the net
btw i have a wnd gen sandy bridge processor.....it is somehow related to some problem that sandy bridge had at starting
Score
July 6, 2011 3:54:57 PM

I'm not entirely sure about the processor problem you speak of. I have an older intel dual core (bought in 2009.) Seatools might be able to be found by doing a google search. You boot it from a cd or flash drive if you use a software to convert the cd image to USB. Seatools is a hard drive checking software from Seagate (Hard drive manufacturer.) I'm not entirely sure it would check SSD correctly as I have not tested that; However, it will check the controller on the motherboard (I believe it will check sata, that might be in the newer one only.)
Score
July 6, 2011 7:27:14 PM

i did the short test....it scans i dont understand what to do next
Score
July 6, 2011 7:42:07 PM

Okay, does it say anything about errors? Or are you saying it is hard to understand the reasults
Score
July 6, 2011 8:45:57 PM

when the progress bars complete a green colored writings come next to it and says "shq (or something, dont remember) - pass"
Score
July 6, 2011 8:47:20 PM

Well, this probably means it did not detect anything. If I may ask, do you password protect folders, and also, is it random folders that do this, or specific ones with specific content?
Score
July 6, 2011 11:33:31 PM

Go to the cmd prompt and enter
SFC /scannow

Make sure you got your installation disk in the disk tray.
Score
July 7, 2011 9:31:11 AM

gnomio said:
Go to the cmd prompt and enter
SFC /scannow

Make sure you got your installation disk in the disk tray.

well i did the test and after it is finished i got the following message
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"
Score
July 7, 2011 10:32:07 AM

i am more concerned about other problem i have, my computer pauses randomly for 5 secs and makes a weird sound through speakers (today it paused but did not make any sound) and happens especially when i am watching video but happened sometimes while regular computer usage.

btw if i system restore the files i have copied to my hdd and the software i installed within the period and the files i have downloaded, will it go away?
Score
July 7, 2011 1:14:26 PM

Backup data you feel is crucial, and just try a system restore. At this point I couldn't imagine what else might be causing the problem.
Score
July 7, 2011 1:26:13 PM

looks like i have restore point of 3days ago only where as my problem started to show may be atleast 7 days ago
Score
July 7, 2011 1:42:41 PM

Is there any particular software you installed recently? Any kind of codecs or something of the sort?
Score
July 7, 2011 2:26:26 PM

i installed k-lite codec may b 10 days back, installed itunes yesterday
Score
July 7, 2011 4:18:29 PM

hmm, would you say your problems started after k-lite? If so, try uninstalling for a few days, and use vlc media player while you test that and see what happens.
Score
July 7, 2011 4:33:02 PM

i cant say so..but yesterday suddenly my graphics driver stopped responding for few secs.
i have a ati 5850 with catalyst 11.6
Score

Best solution

July 7, 2011 7:40:13 PM

Your graphics driver?? That sounds like something is disrupting video/audio wise. I'm stumped as much as you are, but what I would do is uninstall all the codec pack and try another method for viewing your video/audio and see what happens.
July 7, 2011 7:46:02 PM

ok i will definitely uninstall the k-lite codec pack.....
and i think i did not have any problem before i installed ati catalyst 11.6 when i had 11.5
Score
July 7, 2011 7:50:32 PM

Search up about 11.6 and see if you see others with the same problem. Also see if others suffering from this problem are also ATI users. If possible, down grade to 11.5 with the codec pack still uninstalled, then determine if that fixes it.
Score
July 8, 2011 9:41:57 AM

i installed the previous version ati catalyst 11.5 and also uninstalled k-lite codec pack, and then i accessed the folder where i used to get the explorer restart message, hopefully this i did not get that message.
i cant be sure if the problem is gone or not but i will let you know about it. for now i will wait and observe for 1-2 days.
and thank you very much Newbornreason....
thank you very very much
Score
July 8, 2011 10:31:20 PM

Not a problem, let me know the outcome as I'm curious if this fixes the problem.
Score
July 9, 2011 6:26:36 AM

the problem with the "Windows Explorer Restart" is totally gone........i am currently using vlc media player
thank you very very much for giving your time in solving my problem.

now the other problem i am still facing : My PC pauses (i told about it earlier) randomly....
there is one thing i have observed about it, that is when i play a video it pauses and the sound from the video actually makes the noise from the speaker (if you did not understand this SOUND part please ask me again)
and if when the pc pauses while doing other general operations it does not make any sound
Score
July 9, 2011 11:47:25 AM

Glad we could work one that first problem. Now for the second one, please explain more detail about this sound. Is it a static noise? Does it sound almost like "digital scratching" like how a record needle scratches across a record?

Do you use onboard audio or do you have an audio card? You could try turning off ALL windows sounds (if you don't know how to do it, tell me the OS you are using or google it, it's relatively simple.) Lets take this one step at a time and try to eliminate possibilities as I have never experienced this and I don't want to have you do something you don't need to do.
Score
July 10, 2011 8:24:10 AM

Best answer selected by in_core.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2011 9:14:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!