Blocking an application from running

Hello:

I am trying to block a auditing application from running. I have tried
using a GPO to block it with the value "Don't run specified Windows
applications". I have set this with a GPO on the OU and I have also set it
on the local group policy but no matter what the application runs.

Does anyone know what I might be missing here? The application is
"AUDIT32.EXE".

Harrison Midkiff

I think the best solution might be to use ntfs permissions on audit32.exe

Any hints on using TrackIt you can offer?... I'm always looking for any help
I can get with TrackIt :0

Ken

"Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to block a auditing application from running. I have tried
> using a GPO to block it with the value "Don't run specified Windows
> applications". I have set this with a GPO on the OU and I have also set
> it on the local group policy but no matter what the application runs.
>
> Does anyone know what I might be missing here? The application is
> "AUDIT32.EXE".
>
> Harrison Midkiff

Hi Harrison,

Thank you for posting!

After you set the policy in the Local GPO, please run the following command
to refresh the policy settings.

secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce

Group Policy background processing can take up to 5 minutes to be refreshed
on domain controllers and up to 120 minutes to be refreshed on client
computers. To force background processing of Group Policy settings, we need
to use the Secedit.exe tool.

Also, you may use NTFS permissions to block the file.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

323525 HOW TO: Restrict Users from Running Specific Windows Programs in
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323525

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

--------------------

In article <4Xqw3l5xEHA.768@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl>, jackwa@online.microsoft.com (Jack Wang [MSFT]) wrote:
>Hi Harrison,

>323525 HOW TO: Restrict Users from Running Specific Windows Programs in
>Windows
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323525
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>Sincerely,
>Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
>Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

what about the situation:

windows xp 2 users and admin and a limited user.
you want admin to have access to all apps. but you want to limit limited user
to only certain apps. is there a how to for this?

Hi

Thank you for your input.

If the users are domain users, you may refer to the following article.

816100 How To Prevent Domain Group Policies from Applying to Administrator
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816100

If they are the local users, you may try the following method in Windows XP.

293655 How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=293655

Also, you may set the NTFS permissions of the file to solve the issue.