Can I use my old case?

BigPinkMonkey

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I have an old Dell Pentium 3 with many shot components, so I'm going to build my own. It's an ATX case. I'm planning to overclock a 6300, but I'd like to preserve an upgrade path to quad core and SLI. Will there be heat issues? Will it fit the newer components? Am I better off just buying a new case? Or can I upgrade that pretty easily later when my needs change?

BigPinkMonkey

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
As long as the Screw down points for the motherboard match up with a standard ATX board and this is a standard tower case then you should be fine.

Is there some way to know that in advance? Some standard patterns I could look for? Or are you just saying they need to be ATX? They are.

chiadog

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Don't forget the connectors for the case buttons and LEDs. In most of the Dell cases I've seen, there are some proprietary connector that is not compatible with non-Dell motherboards.

I am willing to bet that he won't be able to use his case for his new build.

chiadog

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
All the little connectors is bundled into a single connector, if i remember correctly. He could cut the connector off and crimp on some leads, if he really wanted to use that case. I am just not sure if it is worth the time and effort over getting a new cheap case.