Windows XP SP2 deployment - Adminstrative install issue

Hi All,

I have an issue with instructions found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx

When deploying XP SP2 through GPO, the article seems to say to first extract
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe and then to Run the administrative
installation to copy the files to the distribution point using the following
syntax

msiexec /a \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi

My question is the following: When I run the above comand on the fileserver,
is \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi the path to the extracted Update.msi
file? If it is, I get the following message:

"microsoft requires the use of the "machine assigned" distribution method
when using update.msi"

This does not make any sense to me. Can I simply extract the
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe file to a directory then assign a GPO
software distribution package to the update.msi in that directory?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I ran into the same problem, however the service pack did deploy correctly
after skipping that step.

-Brian

"Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have an issue with instructions found at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx
>
> When deploying XP SP2 through GPO, the article seems to say to first
> extract WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe and then to Run the administrative
> installation to copy the files to the distribution point using the
> following syntax
>
> msiexec /a \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi
>
> My question is the following: When I run the above comand on the
> fileserver, is \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi the path to the
> extracted Update.msi file? If it is, I get the following message:
>
> "microsoft requires the use of the "machine assigned" distribution method
> when using update.msi"
>
> This does not make any sense to me. Can I simply extract the
> WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe file to a directory then assign a GPO
> software distribution package to the update.msi in that directory?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

I wish I could have the same luck. It seems SP2 doesn't want to deploy. I
don't even get a "cant deploy" message in the event log.

Chris

"Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message
>I ran into the same problem, however the service pack did deploy correctly
>after skipping that step.
>
> -Brian
>

> "Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have an issue with instructions found at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx
>>
>> When deploying XP SP2 through GPO, the article seems to say to first
>> extract WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe and then to Run the administrative
>> installation to copy the files to the distribution point using the
>> following syntax
>>
>> msiexec /a \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi
>>
>> My question is the following: When I run the above comand on the
>> fileserver, is \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi the path to the
>> extracted Update.msi file? If it is, I get the following message:
>>
>> "microsoft requires the use of the "machine assigned" distribution method
>> when using update.msi"
>>
>> This does not make any sense to me. Can I simply extract the
>> WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe file to a directory then assign a GPO
>> software distribution package to the update.msi in that directory?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Chris

Got it working. There must have been something wrong with the path. I
copied SP2 extracted to one of our DC's and distributed it from there and it
worked.

I guess MS documentation is wrong.

Chris

>I wish I could have the same luck. It seems SP2 doesn't want to deploy. I
>don't even get a "cant deploy" message in the event log.
>
> Chris
>
> "Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message
>>I ran into the same problem, however the service pack did deploy correctly
>>after skipping that step.
>>
>> -Brian
>>

>> "Chris Henderson" <please@dont.ask.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have an issue with instructions found at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx
>>>
>>> When deploying XP SP2 through GPO, the article seems to say to first
>>> extract WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe and then to Run the
>>> administrative installation to copy the files to the distribution point
>>> using the following syntax
>>>
>>> msiexec /a \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi
>>>
>>> My question is the following: When I run the above comand on the
>>> fileserver, is \\ServerName\SharedFolder\Update.msi the path to the
>>> extracted Update.msi file? If it is, I get the following message:
>>>
>>> "microsoft requires the use of the "machine assigned" distribution
>>> method when using update.msi"
>>>
>>> This does not make any sense to me. Can I simply extract the
>>> WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe file to a directory then assign a GPO
>>> software distribution package to the update.msi in that directory?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Chris

Have you run a GPRESULT to make sure the policy is being applied to the
computers?
Are the appropriate permissions set for the directory the installation files
are located in so that the user has access?
Did you set the policy using software installation in Computer Configuration
instead of User in the GPO?

These are just ideas off the top of my head.