Yet another what should I buy post (Hitachi 57")

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 24, 2004 5:45:15 PM

Looking at 57" HDTV projection monitors. It'll replace an older
Hitachi Ultravision projection unit which has been great, and from
what I can tell here the Hitachis continue to be well regarded. A
good line doubler is important since a significant amount of
programming will be standard def from DirecTV or possibly Voom.

I know that making judgements based upon in-store viewing is a
mistake, but looking at the 57F500A and 57S500 side by side the F (at
$200 less) actually seemed to have better convergence and an otherwise
very similar picture. I know the S is "5 element" vs. "4 element" and
that they have different element names ("High Brightness" vs. "Super
Contrast") but I'm not sure what this means in practice. The remote
is not much of an issue since we have a good universal remote running
the whole show and would probably continue to use that as primary.

Questions:

- Can anyone expound on the real difference between F and S?

- Viewing angles and brightness levels are not a big issue with the
current set; is there any reason to think that either of these HD sets
wouldn't be at least as good in this regard?

- I've heard mention of a "T" model but haven't seen one and can't
tell from the Hitachi site how it really differs from F or S - any
insight there?

- Any other sets that we absolutely must consider before deciding on
one of these?

Thanks

JGM

More about : buy post hitachi

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:14:49 PM

I've owned a 51F500 and recently replaced it with a 57T600. I can tell
you there is a difference in quality. The T600 appears to use the same
lens technology of the S series combined with the CRT technology from
the F series.

You probably won't get technical details beyond the tid-bits Hitachi
tells you. No doubt you've already reas the 5-element, 4-element
comparisons. the lens technology in the S and T series uses less
magnification than the F (again, I can tell you based on just the lens
technology alone I notice a considerable difference between F and T).

The debate should really come down to what your eyes tell you. Find a
retailer in town that has an S side by side with a F series. Some
people can't tell the differencee. Aside from that I can tell you the
F series has "red push" really bad. I had to adjust this on my 51F500
and I've noticed it on all floor models I've seen. This wasn't a
problem on my 57T600.

Consider the Toshiba 57HX93 and the Sony KP57WV600, both are nice. The
only advantage the Hitachi's have over those sets is the 1080i/540p
upconverter in addition to the line doubler. Some people prefer to
perform the upconversion in other components (If you want to spend
$1500 for DVD player or $2500+ for AV reciever the Hitachi sets might
not be for you, because you have to disable the upconversion in the
service menu).

-Jeremy

jgmclean@my-dejanews.com (JGM) wrote in message news:<163ccb18.0405241245.4bc7f0a@posting.google.com>...
> Looking at 57" HDTV projection monitors. It'll replace an older
> Hitachi Ultravision projection unit which has been great, and from
> what I can tell here the Hitachis continue to be well regarded. A
> good line doubler is important since a significant amount of
> programming will be standard def from DirecTV or possibly Voom.
>
> I know that making judgements based upon in-store viewing is a
> mistake, but looking at the 57F500A and 57S500 side by side the F (at
> $200 less) actually seemed to have better convergence and an otherwise
> very similar picture. I know the S is "5 element" vs. "4 element" and
> that they have different element names ("High Brightness" vs. "Super
> Contrast") but I'm not sure what this means in practice. The remote
> is not much of an issue since we have a good universal remote running
> the whole show and would probably continue to use that as primary.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Can anyone expound on the real difference between F and S?
>
> - Viewing angles and brightness levels are not a big issue with the
> current set; is there any reason to think that either of these HD sets
> wouldn't be at least as good in this regard?
>
> - I've heard mention of a "T" model but haven't seen one and can't
> tell from the Hitachi site how it really differs from F or S - any
> insight there?
>
> - Any other sets that we absolutely must consider before deciding on
> one of these?
>

> Thanks
>
> JGM
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 10:38:26 PM

I have the 57S500 and cannot say enough good things about it! It is
a superb television............

!