Password question

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
This may be a no0b question but I am hooking up 2 computers using a crossover cable. I am using ICS windows 98 is client and windows 2000 is the the main. I am using broadband DSL I have the ICS working but when I try to view a HD that i have shared on the windows 2000. It tells me You must supply a password to make this connection I dont remember setting up a password for network login just for administrator. I have looked in the security Snap in but cannot find anything about the password I need I am using TCP/IP Client for microsoft Network for the client and for windows 2000 i am using Client for microsoft Network, TCP/IP and NetBUEI. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Windows 2000 does not support "simple" file sharing like Windows 98 and XP do. That's to say that any user trying to connect to the 2000-based PC will need to authenticate themselves first.

Since the client is Windows 98, I *think* you will have to log on to the 98 computer using the same account name as you use on the 2000 computer, since as far as I know, Windows 98 only prompts for a password, not a username.