Windows Install

For some reason when I installed windows it the drive was suppose to be the
c: drive but it came up as the d: drive. I have tried to fix this using disk
management but it wont let me change the boot drives letter. Is there another
was to change the drives letter so that I will be the c: drive???

Hi,

You can't change the drive letter assigned to the boot partition. The only
thing you can do is start over, and this time make sure that whatever device
usurped the C designation is detached from the system (usually a tape or zip
drive).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"michaelk025@hotmail.com" <michaelk025hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:CA12AE29-4706-44DB-A261-195FF6206FB4@microsoft.com...
> For some reason when I installed windows it the drive was suppose to be
> the
> c: drive but it came up as the d: drive. I have tried to fix this using
> disk
> management but it wont let me change the boot drives letter. Is there
> another
> was to change the drives letter so that I will be the c: drive???

It sounds like you had some type of external drive connected at the time you
installed. Maybe even a card in a usb card reader. Do to a large number of
registry entries now pointing to D you'll need to reinstall XP clean. Ensure
you've unplugged your peripherals first.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

michaelk025@hotmail.com wrote:
> For some reason when I installed windows it the drive was suppose to
> be the c: drive but it came up as the d: drive. I have tried to fix
> this using disk management but it wont let me change the boot drives
> letter. Is there another was to change the drives letter so that I
> will be the c: drive???

You will need to reinstall. And this time make sure that your system
partition is the first primary partition on the drive.

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
> michaelk025@hotmail.com wrote:
>> For some reason when I installed windows it the drive was suppose to
>> be the c: drive but it came up as the d: drive. I have tried to fix
>> this using disk management but it wont let me change the boot drives
>> letter. Is there another was to change the drives letter so that I
>> will be the c: drive???
>
> You will need to reinstall. And this time make sure that your system
> partition is the first primary partition on the drive.

You should also unplug all external items like zip drives first.

bar

Just to clear up drive letter assignments: as some of you are obviously
mistaken.

XP assigns drive letters in the following manner:

C - Drive to the first partition [or whole unpartitioned drive] attached as
MASTER on the Primary IDE interface
D - Drive to the first partition [or whole unpartitioned drive] attached as
MASTER on the Secondary IDE interface; after C Drive is already assigned
otherwise it defaults back to C.
E - Drive to the second partition of the first drive attached as MASTER on
the Primary IDE interface [or whole unpartitioned drive], or the first
partition [or whole unpartitioned drive] attached as SLAVE on the Primary IDE
interface, where there is already a drive attached as MASTER.
and so on.
The next available drive letter [say F, following the sequence used in this
example] is assigned to the Optical Drive or other device attached to the
Primary IDE interface as SLAVE.

Any external devices are then assigned drive letters sbject to the rules
above. This includes USB attached Hard Drive, USB Memory Sticks [aka 'Jump
Drive], Memory Card Readers [used for Camera Memory Modules and other items
like the IBM Micro Drive] attached as separate devices or as part of a
printer.

Drives A and B are reserved for Floppy Disk Drives.

SO for your PC where the XP installation went to the D Drive, you must have
2 partitions on the C Drive or have directed the installation to take place
onto a second hard drive -it's all too easy, especially if you performed an
upgrade from Win Me or 98.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:07:03 -0800, BAR wrote:

> Just to clear up drive letter assignments: as some of you are obviously
> mistaken.
>
> XP assigns drive letters in the following manner:

Sorry. XP doesn't letter drives in the same manner that MS-DOS letters
them. It will preserve letters for existing drives and letter around them.
In some circumstances, it will assign C: "inappropriately." For example:

Drive Letters Change Unexpectedly When You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326683

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User