need advice on updating graphic card 2 run new games

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
i would like advice on updating the current graphics card in my kid's comp.
specs are:
Abit IS7
P4ht 2.8cghz 800mhzFSB
2 x Corsair DDRAM PC3500c2 512mb
ATI 9600 Pro Radeon AGP 128mb

want to run BF2142 better, the new expansion pack for it, and C+C 3.

what are my options?
thanks
suzy

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Big thing for both of those games are the memory. So 2 more sticks of 512mb and a new vid card. I don't know the budget but either a 7600 gt which I can find for $150 or all the way for a x1950 pro for $270.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
You have a number of choices that depends completely on your budget.
You could find an older 6600 or 6800, though I don't recommend it unless you can find it REAL cheap. THese are still contenders for modern games, especially BF2142 though again, if you're going to buy new and spend a little cake, don't bother. Or, better yet an x850xt
Although these are only inexpensive alternatives, like maybe you can find them used or somethin' Keep in mind some of these need extra power so think of the possibility of a PSU upgrade, if needed.

Best, Otherwise, in order: x1950pro $219 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131035

Great, The 7800GS have dropped sharply in price, $159 after rebate...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

Very Good, 7600gt $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150210

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi, thanks!!!
sorry, i left out the power supply:
fortron 350w fsp350-60BN

yes, i need to add more ram. need advice on it. i do believe i can put up to 4 gig in. ?

budget. well, it started out at 100.00 just for the graphics card. the ram is a must buy! :) now we just want a couple of ideas and whatever we can get a deal on, or even better, whatever will take this computer til we build the next one (quad core or 64 bit) (next OS will be a 64bit, so then if we can wait???) you know kids and these games.

so if i have to spend more money to get this computer to get to that 64bit step, then i will. i would like some options on varying degrees tho, from the most expensive down.

thanks
suzy

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I can recommend the x1800 gto i think i saw it recently at around 130 dollars.

i have this card and i upgraded from a 9800 .

let me just say that you wont be disappointed , it will run almost everything at good setting up til a resolution of 1280 x 1024

and it is faster than the 7600 series . 8)

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
My honest opinion would be to look into a complete new build if we neglect budget as a contraint.

I don't see why do a minor upgrade now, and then in a few months again. Somewhere, you will have to go PCIx in order to have access to a larger and better supported interface. AGP is alive, but for how long?

64bit you shouldn't worry about now though - with your next big upgrade, you'll have 64bit capable hardware, and the software will then be the activator.

I would recommend:

Intel
965 mobo that supports quad core
2 gig ddr 2 533 or higher
E6300 or E4300 CPU
BIG PSU (well known 600W or higher) - will cover alot of upgrades
ATi or Nvidia DX10 card - but wait a while (month or so) for a broader range
160gig SATA2 (can be omited)

It will cost a few dollars, but then you have an upgradable platform for the next 18-24 months (short - I know but it's the PC industry after all).

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
actually, we started talking about pulling the motherboard out and putting a new one in last night. of course, this idea originated from the guys in my family, and i am the one who would be doing all the work! :)
i agree with putting the money towards new guts of the comp and not updating, since the original idea of just updating the graphics card eventually lead to more updating.
i would have to research just what i could keep.
thanks for the info on what to start with, i always appreciate the help on what combinations work. i will have to start reading what you all are building in the forums to see the best motherboard to pair up with the intel processor. oh, then that will bring me into a heated discussion with my oldest, he wants amd and i refuse to build it with it, just like last time. it will be a gaming comp tho and he still doesn't budge from amd being the best at that.
thanks
suzy

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
about the 2 gig being enough--
may i ask why i am reading a lot about 3 gig and 4 gig comp's you all have built?

i always thought the more ram the better.
i know the processor must be near the fastest one out. and a really good graphics card. i guess those were the 3 things i tried not to cheat on.

so 3 or 4 gig of ram is really not necessary for all the games coming out?
another ? tho, what about photoshop cs?

thanks
suzy

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Over 2GB is so far pretty irrelevant for games.
Useful in some circumstances for other things you might do that require that much. Though, if you know what those are then you know you already need more memory ;).
It's like 64bit OS, it's irrelevant for common use, especially gaming, but I have no idea the entirety of what you are using your system for.
Either way, keep in mind, even if you do upgrade the guts of your system, you will have to upgrade the video card, since I doubt you are upgrading to another AGP platform, so factor that into the cost.

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
"This card is as low as I would go then and it's closer to your $100
for $119 after rebate 7600gs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681413"

hi,
exploring options, would this card require an updated power supply?
thanks
suzy

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
when i am talking about ram, i am talking about my stuff. i have about 3 hobbies, one hobby is photos. i have photo impact, jascs paint shop pro, coral paint shop pro (all older versions) and will add photoshop cs2. now, when i have these prog's all up and running, plus a folder of pictures, plus another folder that i use to bring in graphics, i have ram problems. so i want 3 gig and eventually 4 gig.
my other hobby, which is totally girlish, so i won't bother with details. :) when i first bought the software, it wouldn't run. that's when i learned about needing a good graphics card and its not gaming! i used photo impact with this hobby also.
getting back to my kid's comp. i still want to upgrade it to 2 gig or 3. yep, i understand that i will be updating the gutt of that comp and graphics.
thanks so much!
suzy

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Suzy.... video games will ruin your kid's life.... they almost ruined mine... they are addictive... not to be a forum a$$hole or anything, I guess I am. Well, it must be said. :?
-cm

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Anyways, I'll make a good post now. Umm...

If your budget is $100 for a graphics card, try to get a DirectX 9.0b or 9.0c card. Those are still plenty powerful, and relatively inexpensive. I'm baised, but my X850XTPE might fit the nob here and can be eBayed for around $100. I own BF2142 and the X850 played it just fine at a resolution of 1440x900 on medium settings. You can get X1800's cheap too, now though.

And yes, get 2 gigs of value RAM, there's not a whole lot of point to go crazy with DDR2-8000 or anything psycho like that.
Good luck, and make sure your kid gets the Voss Rifle as his first gun unlock if he can. :p
-cm

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
in comment to your first post :)
my kids are not allowed comp time, til certain chores and of course homework is done. and to show how strict i am, only on fri, sat and sun and 1 hour.

re:Good luck, and make sure your kid gets the Voss Rifle as his first gun unlock if he can'
my one sons answer is: doesnt like the voss rifle and he is a camper.
now that is not the older kid i have been talking about, this son, is my electronic wiz at games. he has beaten most games before his older brother. but he knows zilch about comp's except how to turn it on! :)

suzy

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
About the first part of your last post:
Good.

About the second:
I'm afraid I must destroy your son. [/joking]
Camping = fun in summer with ladies, lame in BF2142.
-cm

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
when i built the kids comp, i had a chance to buy a better power supply unit, and i didn't. i should of. another lesson learned: put the best you can in! it would of been not much more $$ either, if i recall.

about your suggestion for the graphics card:
"If your budget is $100 for a graphics card, try to get a DirectX 9.0b or 9.0c card. Those are still plenty powerful, and relatively inexpensive. I'm baised, but my X850XTPE might fit the nob here and can be eBayed for around $100. I own BF2142 and the X850 played it just fine at a resolution of 1440x900 on medium settings. You can get X1800's cheap too, now though"'

will i need to upgrade the power unit?

thanks
suzy

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I would.
You can get a decent 500Watt PSU for very little money these days, and you shouldn't need a whole lot more than that. The terawatt PSUs are really pretty useless and wasteful unless you have two brand new 8 series video cards. Those things are more power hungry than Chairman Mao. :p
-cm

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
hi,
i would like advice on updating the current graphics card in my kid's comp.
specs are:
Abit IS7
P4ht 2.8cghz 800mhzFSB
2 x Corsair DDRAM PC3500c2 512mb
ATI 9600 Pro Radeon AGP 128mb

want to run BF2142 better, the new expansion pack for it, and C+C 3.

what are my options?
thanks
suzy

the 9600 will work but its getting old.
and 1 gig will work but more is better.

as for video cards an ati x800 or x850 is good.
so is a 6600gt or 6800gt, if you could find one.
but for a newer card something like a 76gt would work great.
the x1950 cards mentioned are around 200$ or more.
and if you could get a 7800gs, for around 150$ after rebate
then that would be your best bet. or a 76gt for the same price.

if you have a 350watt power supply it would be reccomended
to upgrade.

something like this will work fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
re: "About the second:
I'm afraid I must destroy your son. [/joking]
Camping = fun in summer with ladies, lame in BF2142. "

gee, here he said he wanted to kill you and of course i would not type that. i would tell him what you said, but he is on the game now playing, and of course, mom asking for him to come here, well, he can't hear me! :)

suzy
there are advantages to getting kids to do stuff when their comp time is involved!!! (also, older brother is gone, so he has the comp all to himself)

bliq

Distinguished
Anyways, I'll make a good post now. Umm...

If your budget is $100 for a graphics card, try to get a DirectX 9.0b or 9.0c card. Those are still plenty powerful, and relatively inexpensive. I'm baised, but my X850XTPE might fit the nob here and can be eBayed for around $100. I own BF2142 and the X850 played it just fine at a resolution of 1440x900 on medium settings. You can get X1800's cheap too, now though.

And yes, get 2 gigs of value RAM, there's not a whole lot of point to go crazy with DDR2-8000 or anything psycho like that.
Good luck, and make sure your kid gets the Voss Rifle as his first gun unlock if he can. :p
-cm

I've been seeing PCI-e 7600GTs for less than $100 on ebay recently. Just a thought if you're looking to upgrade to PCI-e.

On a budget, give AMD a second thought. On the basis of sheer cost, Athlon64 is still a winner and when you put it in perspective, it performs pretty well. You'd be looking at socket 939 based motherboard and processor so you can use your old DDR RAM.

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi

re: "how many memory slots does your mobo have 2,3, or 4?"

my kids comp has 4 slots for a total of 4 gig.

i found out today that my comp can run the BF game, so now they want on mine!!! no

suzy