OTA Antenna in attic

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 24, 2004 6:31:23 PM

I have a very limited amount of crawl space in my attic, with a central
Heat/AC furnace sitting up there. If I were to install an antenna in that
space (within 5 feet or so of the furnace), would my HD signals be screwed
up by the Air/Heat unit??? My attic is on the west side of the limited
space I have, and the antenna (according to antennaweb.org) would need to
point to the south.

Dan

More about : ota antenna attic

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 9:29:45 PM

Dan, the reality is that very few "attic" antennas work. You've got to be
*VERY* close to the transmitter site. In my own case I am only 15 miles
from the transmitter site, but the HD stations all run low power, so an
attic antenna wouldn't work for me. I did a chimney mount with the Radio
Shack corner-reflector yagi (about $22) and the signals come boiling in.

In article <10b4qd6a06d7c53@corp.supernews.com> "Dan"
<dburke474@hotmail.com> writes:

>I have a very limited amount of crawl space in my attic, with a central
>Heat/AC furnace sitting up there. If I were to install an antenna in that
>space (within 5 feet or so of the furnace), would my HD signals be screwed
>up by the Air/Heat unit??? My attic is on the west side of the limited
>space I have, and the antenna (according to antennaweb.org) would need to
>point to the south.
>
>Dan

May 24, 2004 9:29:46 PM

I went to 'the Shack' yesterday just to look. The guy told me I need a $73
antenna to pull in signals. According to antennaweb.org, I am 38-40 miles
from the 5 different network stations I want to receive. I would hope they
have powerful transmitters, as I'm in a relatively large metropolitan area
(Sacramento, CA), but I guess that probably doesnt mean anything. I can
pull in 3 of the channels in a downstairs bedroom with a pair of rabbit
ears - so I thought being in the attic with a more powerful antenna would do
the trick. My roof is really high, and I'm not about to crawl around on it
:)  In fact, the Dish Network sub who installed my Dish had me hold his
ladder while he was working near the edge of my roof.

"Mr Fixit" <MrFixit@msn.com> wrote in message
> Dan, the reality is that very few "attic" antennas work. You've got to be
> *VERY* close to the transmitter site. In my own case I am only 15 miles
> from the transmitter site, but the HD stations all run low power, so an
> attic antenna wouldn't work for me. I did a chimney mount with the Radio
> Shack corner-reflector yagi (about $22) and the signals come boiling in.
>
> In article <10b4qd6a06d7c53@corp.supernews.com> "Dan"
> <dburke474@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >I have a very limited amount of crawl space in my attic, with a central
> >Heat/AC furnace sitting up there. If I were to install an antenna in
that
> >space (within 5 feet or so of the furnace), would my HD signals be
screwed
> >up by the Air/Heat unit??? My attic is on the west side of the limited
> >space I have, and the antenna (according to antennaweb.org) would need to
> >point to the south.
> >
> >Dan

May 24, 2004 11:23:08 PM

Dan wrote:

> I have a very limited amount of crawl space in my attic, with a central
> Heat/AC furnace sitting up there. If I were to install an antenna in that
> space (within 5 feet or so of the furnace), would my HD signals be screwed
> up by the Air/Heat unit??? My attic is on the west side of the limited
> space I have, and the antenna (according to antennaweb.org) would need to
> point to the south.
>
> Dan

Dan:

I use an OTA UHF antenna in GBay, WI... Plus a HD Cable Box...

Unit is a Channel Master 3021 4 bay bow tie($25)... Flat like a
canary cage...

It is mounted on a plant hook in the corner of the 1st floor TV room
ceiling....

All 8 of my Digital stations are to SE on the same hill.... Antenna
is in

SW corner of house....

Miles to TV towers is 5, 11, or 15.....

All 3 HD stations work fine (Hi Power) & all 5 DT stations are good
too...

2 are at low power.... I find it most convenient to use the Cable
HD signal!
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 3:32:22 AM

Mr Fixit wrote:
> Dan, the reality is that very few "attic" antennas work.

Really? Do you care to explain how I had _EXCELLENT_ results with an in
attic antenna?

> You've got to be
> *VERY* close to the transmitter site.

I got a viewable picture from 130 air miles away with an attic mount
antenna (WMTW-TV Channel 8), Manchester and Derry New Hampshire, all of
the channels from Boston, New Bedford and Providence as well as
acceptable pictures from Hartford CT and Springfield, MA.

> In my own case I am only 15 miles
> from the transmitter site, but the HD stations all run low power, so an
> attic antenna wouldn't work for me.

Did you stop to think that low power had more to do with your poor
reception than the attic mount?

> I did a chimney mount with the Radio
> Shack corner-reflector yagi (about $22) and the signals come boiling in.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that a $75 antenna in the attic wouldn't
work for most people.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.
Anonymous

Hi Matthew,
Where are you located ?
I'm looking to get some of the same stations you do. I live in Bradford,
Vt. which is right on NH border (Connecticut River), about halfway up
state. My house is at about 600' elevation, with views to East and South.

Is WMTW still on Mt Washington ? I thought their transmittion facilities
had been destroyed in a fire or something a few years ago.

Anyway, channel 8 used to be my best OTA analog channel a few years ago
when I had an antenna (an old rickety, falling down piece of junk which I
removed when I got my locals on Dish). I also used to get a strong signal
from the 2 stations on Mt Ascutney (WNNE, channel 31, NBC and the Vt PBS
station, 41). I don't think WNNE will be digital anytime soon but 41 is
partial now. What about channel 8 ? Are they going HD soon ? I do get the
CBS HD distant with Dish because I'm in a no signal area but would like to
get at least one each of the other 3 networks plus UPN. I don't think
there's a Fox or UPN anywhere near here - even in analog but I really have
no idea how far I could reach out with an HD antenna. Any feedback you
could provide would be appreciated.
Thanks,
WaltinVt

"Matthew L. Martin" <mlmartin@me.com> wrote in message
> Mr Fixit wrote:
> > Dan, the reality is that very few "attic" antennas work.
>
> Really? Do you care to explain how I had _EXCELLENT_ results with an in
> attic antenna?
>
> > You've got to be
> > *VERY* close to the transmitter site.
>
> I got a viewable picture from 130 air miles away with an attic mount
> antenna (WMTW-TV Channel 8), Manchester and Derry New Hampshire, all of
> the channels from Boston, New Bedford and Providence as well as
> acceptable pictures from Hartford CT and Springfield, MA.
>
> > In my own case I am only 15 miles
> > from the transmitter site, but the HD stations all run low power, so an
> > attic antenna wouldn't work for me.
>
> Did you stop to think that low power had more to do with your poor
> reception than the attic mount?
>
> > I did a chimney mount with the Radio
> > Shack corner-reflector yagi (about $22) and the signals come boiling in.
>
> Sure, but that doesn't mean that a $75 antenna in the attic wouldn't
> work for most people.
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 12:41:33 AM

I have a $30 RS Yagi in the attic (1 story) and easily pull in the HD/DT
stations 30 miles to the west (flat rural area). Analog is snowy so use
cable for them.

"Dan" <dburke474@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a very limited amount of crawl space in my attic, with a central
> Heat/AC furnace sitting up there. If I were to install an antenna in that
> space (within 5 feet or so of the furnace), would my HD signals be screwed
> up by the Air/Heat unit??? My attic is on the west side of the limited
> space I have, and the antenna (according to antennaweb.org) would need to
> point to the south.
>
> Dan

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 6:20:43 AM

Walt Mather wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> Where are you located ?
> I'm looking to get some of the same stations you do. I live in Bradford,
> Vt. which is right on NH border (Connecticut River), about halfway up
> state. My house is at about 600' elevation, with views to East and South.

I was in Sutton MA, about 10 miles south of Worcester.

> Is WMTW still on Mt Washington ? I thought their transmittion facilities
> had been destroyed in a fire or something a few years ago.

The TV station was moved off the mountain due to the UHF channel
assigned for DTV, or that was the excuse. The FM station stayed until
the fire.

> Anyway, channel 8 used to be my best OTA analog channel a few years ago
> when I had an antenna (an old rickety, falling down piece of junk which I
> removed when I got my locals on Dish). I also used to get a strong signal
> from the 2 stations on Mt Ascutney (WNNE, channel 31, NBC and the Vt PBS
> station, 41). I don't think WNNE will be digital anytime soon but 41 is
> partial now. What about channel 8 ? Are they going HD soon ? I do get the
> CBS HD distant with Dish because I'm in a no signal area but would like to
> get at least one each of the other 3 networks plus UPN. I don't think
> there's a Fox or UPN anywhere near here - even in analog but I really have
> no idea how far I could reach out with an HD antenna. Any feedback you
> could provide would be appreciated.

I was using a deep fringe antenna from Radio Shack in my attic. Mounting
it on the roof wasn't an idea as the roof structure dates from 1720.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.
!