printer (copy 2)

I have a printer that has to be unplugged, and whenever I plug
in it again (USB port) Windows XP Pro SP2 registers it as a
Whole new printer: i.e. "Brother 1440 (copy x)"

I also have an application that has to be told which printer to use, so
it does not give the option of browsing for a new printer!

How can I prevent the "copy x" when there is ALREADY a printer installed
by the same name!?

Rick
Merrill

Start> Printers & faxes. Delete the duplicates. Then, choose Print from the
File drop down menu and select the printer that you want.

Rick Merrill wrote:
>> I have a printer that has to be unplugged, and whenever I plug
>> in it again (USB port) Windows XP Pro SP2 registers it as a
>> Whole new printer: i.e. "Brother 1440 (copy x)"
>>
>> I also have an application that has to be told which printer to use, so
>> it does not give the option of browsing for a new printer!
>>
>> How can I prevent the "copy x" when there is ALREADY a printer installed
>> by the same name!?
>>
>> Rick
>> Merrill

Could be:
Drivers are not up to date for the printer with XP.
A safe to remove hardware icon in the systray.

Chuck Davis wrote:
> Start> Printers & faxes. Delete the duplicates. Then, choose Print from the
> File drop down menu and select the printer that you want.

Two problems with that:
1. the (stupid) application only allows 1 "installed" printer.
2. how can you tell which one is the latest?!

BBUNNY wrote:
> Rick Merrill wrote:
>
>>>I have a printer that has to be unplugged, and whenever I plug
>>>in it again (USB port) Windows XP Pro SP2 registers it as a
>>>Whole new printer: i.e. "Brother 1440 (copy x)"
>>>
>>>I also have an application that has to be told which printer to use, so
>>>it does not give the option of browsing for a new printer!
>>>
>>>How can I prevent the "copy x" when there is ALREADY a printer installed
>>>by the same name!?
>>>
>>>Rick
>>>Merrill
>

> Could be:
> Drivers are not up to date for the printer with XP.

Drivers are Very Up To Date. The problem is that the printers have
different names and there is no way to tell which printer is "live
and on line".
-- RM
"i fought the lawn and the lawn won"