Accessing Windows 2000 Server Remote Registry

Not sure if this is related to GPO but I am unable to access the registry,
browse via network neighborhood, etc. to a Windows 2000 member server from
another Windows NT 4 member server. I cannot do this from any of my NT 4
member servers. Both are logged in as the domain admin. Any thoughts are
appreciated.

"Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is related to GPO but I am unable to access the registry,
> browse via network neighborhood, etc. to a Windows 2000 member server from
> another Windows NT 4 member server. I cannot do this from any of my NT 4
> member servers. Both are logged in as the domain admin. Any thoughts are
> appreciated.

Have you checked WINS?

Matt
MCT, MCSE

I can resolve the name with no problem, ping it by name also. I am getting an
access denied/permissions message when trying to access the remote W2K
server. This started happening either when we went to AD from NT4 or
implemented GPO, both about the same time.

>I can resolve the name with no problem, ping it by name also. I am getting
>an
> access denied/permissions message when trying to access the remote W2K
> server. This started happening either when we went to AD from NT4 or
> implemented GPO, both about the same time.

So in network neighborhood you can see the other computers?

Matt

Yes. Just when trying to open/access them I get the \\server is not available
- Access Denied. I also cannot access the registry remotely using regedit. I
get access denied also. This is only from NT 4 servers to W2K servers. I can
successfully do all the above to W2K Pro machines, W2K3 servers, and WXP Pro
machines. Makes no sense.

> Yes. Just when trying to open/access them I get the \\server is not
> available
> - Access Denied. I also cannot access the registry remotely using regedit.
> get access denied also. This is only from NT 4 servers to W2K servers. I
> can
> successfully do all the above to W2K Pro machines, W2K3 servers, and WXP
> Pro
> machines. Makes no sense.
>
> "Matt Anderson" wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.

the w2k3 box is the DC and the NT4 server logs into the DC? if you go
\\w2k3box\c$ does it give you a logon prompt? If it does can you log on
with domainname\administrator and use that password? The nt4 boxes aren't
BDC's or on a different domain are they?

Matt
MCT, MCSE

Yes I can map to \\w2k3box\c$ with not prompt for username and password. The
NT 4 Servers are member servers only and are all in the same domain as the
W2K and W2k3 servers.

> Yes I can map to \\w2k3box\c$ with not prompt for username and password.
> The
> NT 4 Servers are member servers only and are all in the same domain as the
> W2K and W2k3 servers.

So you can or cannot connect to c$?

Matt

Yes I can.

> Yes I can.

I'm missing the problem then.

Matt

From the NT4 Member Servers as administrator I cannot connect to W2K Member
servers via drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. I get
access denied or check to make sure you are an administrator of the machine.
I can from the W2K Member Servers connect back to the NT4 Member Servers via
drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. From the NT4
Member Servers as administrator I can connect to W2K3 DC and Member Servers
via drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. We recently
went from NT4 domain to W2K3 AD and group policies. The problem only lies
from the NT4 Member Servers back to the W2K Member Servers. Make sense?

"Matt Anderson" wrote:

> "Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I can.
> >
> I'm missing the problem then.
>
> Matt

Disabling IPSEC Agent service on W2K server resolved the issue!