Accessing Windows 2000 Server Remote Registry

Not sure if this is related to GPO but I am unable to access the registry,
browse via network neighborhood, etc. to a Windows 2000 member server from
another Windows NT 4 member server. I cannot do this from any of my NT 4
member servers. Both are logged in as the domain admin. Any thoughts are
appreciated.
11 answers Last reply
More about accessing windows 2000 server remote registry

    "Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this is related to GPO but I am unable to access the registry,
    > browse via network neighborhood, etc. to a Windows 2000 member server from
    > another Windows NT 4 member server. I cannot do this from any of my NT 4
    > member servers. Both are logged in as the domain admin. Any thoughts are
    > appreciated.

    Have you checked WINS?

    Matt
    MCT, MCSE

    I can resolve the name with no problem, ping it by name also. I am getting an
    access denied/permissions message when trying to access the remote W2K
    server. This started happening either when we went to AD from NT4 or
    implemented GPO, both about the same time.

    >I can resolve the name with no problem, ping it by name also. I am getting
    >an
    > access denied/permissions message when trying to access the remote W2K
    > server. This started happening either when we went to AD from NT4 or
    > implemented GPO, both about the same time.

    So in network neighborhood you can see the other computers?

    Matt

    Yes. Just when trying to open/access them I get the \\server is not available
    - Access Denied. I also cannot access the registry remotely using regedit. I
    get access denied also. This is only from NT 4 servers to W2K servers. I can
    successfully do all the above to W2K Pro machines, W2K3 servers, and WXP Pro
    machines. Makes no sense.

    > Yes. Just when trying to open/access them I get the \\server is not
    > available
    > - Access Denied. I also cannot access the registry remotely using regedit.
    > get access denied also. This is only from NT 4 servers to W2K servers. I
    > can
    > successfully do all the above to W2K Pro machines, W2K3 servers, and WXP
    > Pro
    > machines. Makes no sense.
    >
    > "Matt Anderson" wrote:

    Thanks for clarifying.

    the w2k3 box is the DC and the NT4 server logs into the DC? if you go
    \\w2k3box\c$ does it give you a logon prompt? If it does can you log on
    with domainname\administrator and use that password? The nt4 boxes aren't
    BDC's or on a different domain are they?

    Matt
    MCT, MCSE
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Yes I can map to \\w2k3box\c$ with not prompt for username and password. The
    NT 4 Servers are member servers only and are all in the same domain as the
    W2K and W2k3 servers.

    "Matt Anderson" wrote:

    > "Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes. Just when trying to open/access them I get the \\server is not
    > > available
    > > - Access Denied. I also cannot access the registry remotely using regedit.
    > > get access denied also. This is only from NT 4 servers to W2K servers. I
    > > can
    > > successfully do all the above to W2K Pro machines, W2K3 servers, and WXP
    > > Pro
    > > machines. Makes no sense.
    > >
    > > "Matt Anderson" wrote:
    > >
    > Thanks for clarifying.
    >
    > the w2k3 box is the DC and the NT4 server logs into the DC? if you go
    > \\w2k3box\c$ does it give you a logon prompt? If it does can you log on
    > with domainname\administrator and use that password? The nt4 boxes aren't
    > BDC's or on a different domain are they?
    >
    > Matt
    > MCT, MCSE

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    > Yes I can map to \\w2k3box\c$ with not prompt for username and password.
    > The
    > NT 4 Servers are member servers only and are all in the same domain as the
    > W2K and W2k3 servers.

    So you can or cannot connect to c$?

    Matt
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Yes I can.

    "Matt Anderson" wrote:

    > "Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes I can map to \\w2k3box\c$ with not prompt for username and password.
    > > The
    > > NT 4 Servers are member servers only and are all in the same domain as the
    > > W2K and W2k3 servers.
    > >
    > So you can or cannot connect to c$?
    >
    > Matt

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    > Yes I can.

    I'm missing the problem then.

    Matt
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    From the NT4 Member Servers as administrator I cannot connect to W2K Member
    servers via drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. I get
    access denied or check to make sure you are an administrator of the machine.
    I can from the W2K Member Servers connect back to the NT4 Member Servers via
    drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. From the NT4
    Member Servers as administrator I can connect to W2K3 DC and Member Servers
    via drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. We recently
    went from NT4 domain to W2K3 AD and group policies. The problem only lies
    from the NT4 Member Servers back to the W2K Member Servers. Make sense?

    "Matt Anderson" wrote:

    > "Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes I can.
    > >
    > I'm missing the problem then.
    >
    > Matt

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Disabling IPSEC Agent service on W2K server resolved the issue!

    "Netwerktek" wrote:

    > From the NT4 Member Servers as administrator I cannot connect to W2K Member
    > servers via drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. I get
    > access denied or check to make sure you are an administrator of the machine.
    > I can from the W2K Member Servers connect back to the NT4 Member Servers via
    > drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. From the NT4
    > Member Servers as administrator I can connect to W2K3 DC and Member Servers
    > via drive mapping, remote registry, network neighborhood, etc. We recently
    > went from NT4 domain to W2K3 AD and group policies. The problem only lies
    > from the NT4 Member Servers back to the W2K Member Servers. Make sense?
    >
    > "Matt Anderson" wrote:
    >

    > > "Netwerktek" <Netwerktek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes I can.
    > > >
    > > I'm missing the problem then.