computer graphics card with HDTV input

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 24, 2004 7:46:11 PM

Hello,

Would anyone know if there is a graphics card out there that would
take a HDTV input from a cablebox?

It seems there are a number of PC graphics cards out there that will
take an 'over the air' input, but what the world REALLY needs is a
card that will receive (input) HD signals straight from the popular HD
cable boxes that are out there.

So, does ANYONE know of such a card?

Ron
May 25, 2004 7:25:30 AM

rgraham1@maine.rr.com (Ron) wrote in news:1a366fd4.0405241446.1484a911
@posting.google.com:

> Hello,
>
> Would anyone know if there is a graphics card out there that would
> take a HDTV input from a cablebox?
>
> It seems there are a number of PC graphics cards out there that will
> take an 'over the air' input, but what the world REALLY needs is a
> card that will receive (input) HD signals straight from the popular HD
> cable boxes that are out there.
>
> So, does ANYONE know of such a card?
>
> Ron

If you are looking for a card to capture component video, it doesn't
exist. The cards out there now can capture over the air only because it
is still compressed to it's 19Mb MPEG (max) stream. Once uncompressed,
either in the form of DVI or analog component video, it would need to be
re-MPEG encoded in real time. There are boxes that broadcasters use to do
this and cost 10s of thousands of $$.
May 25, 2004 8:10:24 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the prompt reply and helpful information.

Just to be sure I understand: the reason you can't input an HDTV
signal from a cable box to a computer graphics card for less than
$10,000 are strictly technical issues and not legal or political
issues.

Is that correct?

Ron

Bill <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94F4F78B80B3kf6bbl@216.196.105.134>...
> rgraham1@maine.rr.com (Ron) wrote in news:1a366fd4.0405241446.1484a911
> @posting.google.com:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Would anyone know if there is a graphics card out there that would
> > take a HDTV input from a cablebox?
> >
> > It seems there are a number of PC graphics cards out there that will
> > take an 'over the air' input, but what the world REALLY needs is a
> > card that will receive (input) HD signals straight from the popular HD
> > cable boxes that are out there.
> >
> > So, does ANYONE know of such a card?
> >
> > Ron
> >

> If you are looking for a card to capture component video, it doesn't
> exist. The cards out there now can capture over the air only because it
> is still compressed to it's 19Mb MPEG (max) stream. Once uncompressed,
> either in the form of DVI or analog component video, it would need to be
> re-MPEG encoded in real time. There are boxes that broadcasters use to do
> this and cost 10s of thousands of $$.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2004 6:48:16 AM

"Ron" <rgraham1@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> Would anyone know if there is a graphics card out there that would
> take a HDTV input from a cablebox?

The cable box is only needed for encrypted/scrambled programs. For
unencrypted cable HD, you can use the FusionHDTV3-QAM made by dvico.com and
available from digitalconnection.com and copperbox.com for $199. This card
accepts the cable input directly, without an intervening cable box.
!