Overclockong and Miro Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was just reading "Building a Digtal editing sytsm part II" and i noticed the do not overclock becuase many boards use the cpu as a timing device. I have been edint for about 5 years, and most of my experience is no either my machine (PIII 450 @ 750 with peltier and air cooling with Miro dc30+ on adobe premiere 5.1c) or a media 100 system (ASU IT Labs Media 100 G4 on media 100 native software). My computer has recenlty gone through upgrades and is now a PIII coppermine 550 @ 550 on an asus CUSL2 mobo. I was planning on overclocking, but now am curiuos about risks. I did have a few prblems with the old setup, such as audio/video sync anomolys, but they were fixed by adjusting hard disk data rates. Could overclocking be the culprit and the hard disk solution just coincidental? Please advise.

G

the cpu is not used as a timing device. the hardware clock (a special chip) is giving the clock for the whole system.

the reason why overclocking might not be advisible is that when you raise the bus speed (FSB) for the CPU the clock speed of the AGP and PCI components are raised as well. there clock speed is generated as a fraction of the CPU bus speed (AGP is 2/3 and PCI is 1/3 of the CPU bus clock on a system with 100Mhz FSB).
when you raise the FSB from 100Mhz to 110Mhz you overclock the PCI bus to 36Mhz.
it doesn't sound much but the most PCI cards are not build for overclocking and can't take as much as most CPU's can. as the result the cards become instable, so does the whole system than.
the way around would be to adjust the multiplier for the PCI and AGP bus but on the majority of motherboards these are fixed and cannot be changed.

the only advise I can give is to try to what extend your system runs stable and go with it.

respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.