Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading System Builders OS on an HP

Last response: in Windows 7
November 23, 2009 7:13:36 PM

I'm trying to find the cheapest, easiest way to overclock my crappy little HP pavilion. can you load a system builders OS on to a dell, HP, compaq?

I'll probably need to replace the MOBO too. I heard if you replace the mobo, you need to get a system builders version of an OS, not the HP version of windows they give you.

Ideas?
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2009 2:03:52 AM

BassBallz said:
I'm trying to find the cheapest, easiest way to overclock my crappy little HP pavilion. can you load a system builders OS on to a dell, HP, compaq?

I'll probably need to replace the MOBO too. I heard if you replace the mobo, you need to get a system builders version of an OS, not the HP version of windows they give you.

Ideas?

Hmm you would definitely need to replace the motherboard if it's locked. Also you will need to check for:

Find a motherboard with great overclocking, preferably look for people who have your current processor and are using the motherboard your looking at to see how that goes.

Current processor's socket (buy a motherboard with this socket)

Current memory (DDR,DDR2, DDR3/speed) Find a motherboard with the socket/ram type for your current set.

Current Power supply's power adapter, 20 or 24 pin. Find a motherboard with fitting. Also you may need a new PSU, most computers come with the BARE minimums so overclocking may push it past the PSU's efficiency rating.

You will need to reseat your heatsink/reapply thermal compound. Get Arctic Silver 5 or OCZ Freeze thermal compound, both come highly rated. PLEASE PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THE WEB ON HOW TO REMOVE YOUR HEATSINK/CLEAN/APPLY NEW COMPOUND/RESEAT..

There's another method of modifying or replacing your motherboard bios chip but I honestly don't recommend this unless you know what your doing since it's an easy motherboard fail.
m
l
November 24, 2009 12:48:03 PM

Sounds to me that since I have an HP, I'll need new system builders OS, a new motherboard, therefore a new case since HP, Dell and company like to build motherboards that only fit into their cases.

I'll look into a good OC'ing motherboard. Perhaps there's a good deal on newegg for a case with powersupply...
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2009 9:23:44 PM

BassBallz said:
Sounds to me that since I have an HP, I'll need new system builders OS, a new motherboard, therefore a new case since HP, Dell and company like to build motherboards that only fit into their cases.

I'll look into a good OC'ing motherboard. Perhaps there's a good deal on newegg for a case with powersupply...

You can use the HP recovery disks/ or the key on the built one you just need to call Microsoft to activate it. Tell them your motherboard blew out and you replaced it if they ask questions, and they will ignore the OEM licensing.

And yes a new case is probable.
m
l
November 25, 2009 12:19:45 AM

About the MB..... I believe HP and such "were" using BTX motherboards for a while. If you wanna reuse your case, check if it's a BTX case because you'll need a BTX MB as a replacement.

Otherwise, new case and any standard ATX MB you like.

You can tell a BTX based computer by what case cover you need to remove to access the components inside.
Looking at the front of the computer it'll be the right side cover. Looking inside the computer, the front face of the computer will be to the left and rear connectors to the right.

Everything is flipped to the "normal" sides on an ATX setup.
m
l
!