no_exceptions

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
i have a pc-3200 1gb dual channel kit of "enhanced latency" ram with timings of 2-3-2-6 currently in my computer and i went and bought another dual channel gig of premier series pc3200 ram with stock timings of 2.5-3-3-7. when i put this kit into my computer it wont boot up and my diagnostic leds say it's the dram. my gut feeling is that the two timings don't exactly agree with each other and this is causing problems. if this is the case, what can i do to change that? if im completely wrong, just let me know and tell me what the problem is.

Mondoman

Splendid
Make sure your BIOS RAM settings are on "auto". If you still have problems, remove your current DIMMs and install only the new RAM. If that still doesn't work, try each of the new sticks one at a time -- perhaps one is defective.

no_exceptions

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Make sure your BIOS RAM settings are on "auto". If you still have problems, remove your current DIMMs and install only the new RAM. If that still doesn't work, try each of the new sticks one at a time -- perhaps one is defective.

well, i changed all of my bios ram settings to auto and started swapping out dimms just to find out that both of the new sticks worked. this made me wonder about a couple of things so i started trying different placements in my dimm slots and i noticed some stuff. my old ram was unable to function together unless they were in two consecutive dimm slots which i had already known. now, when i put in the new dimms, they didn't work unless they were in put in opposite slots for example slots 1 and 3. what's the deal here? :?