insan3

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hi,
I just built a whole new gaming rig. I still have my old computer, and I was wondering if there was a way to get all my programs onto my new computer (as in like Photoshop and Dreamweaver) without having to reinstall the programs?
Thanks for any help

insan3

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I dont know if I explained it wrong, and it might be a stupid question. Im not very familiar with backing up systems, as this is my first build.

I kinda just meant do I really have to lose all my data?
Like not have to go back and download all those small programs.

again...im sorry if this is stupid question.

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hi,
I just built a whole new gaming rig. I still have my old computer, and I was wondering if there was a way to get all my programs onto my new computer (as in like Photoshop and Dreamweaver) without having to reinstall the programs?
Depending on what your situation is there are things you could try that would probably work. But there are no guarantees and simplying reinstalling might get you up and running quicker.

How interested are you in trying to pursue this?

-john

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You data can be transfered over but you will need to install all of your applications.

You can remove the hd and install in your new to copy the files over. Or setup file sharing and transfer them over the network. HD to HD will be faster.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
There are some utilities available such as Laplink's PC mover. Microsoft last year purchased Apptimum, the maker of similar utility called AlohaBob. This tool was renamed Windows Easy Transfer Companion as an addon to Vista's Windows Easy Transfer and is supposed help transfer not just files and settings but also programs. I heard it will become available from Microsoft once Vista launches but I'm not sure if it will work with XP.

insan3

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Kukito, that was exactly what I was looking for.
There might be a problem though...
My new computer has XP on it at the moment, but I get a free Vista upgrade thing,
and will it transfer files from XP to Vista? I personally doubt it, but any opinions?

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
It should, but it will be in beta. Google AlohaBob+Vista for more info. It's always better to clean install but if MS can get this thing working reasonably well it'd be awesome.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Whilst i understand what your asking i feel that it would be suicide to try and transport programs accross this way as you will get registry clogs. My normal routine is to place files on a backup drive (all save games, documents, pictures and project files) then do a clean install of my new system. i would then install things as i require and copy over files as i require to try and keep the new computer as clean as possible and keep the performance of the machine as good as possible.

TRENDING THREADS