Gez

Just finished OC, SOU, and HOTU! Here's my thoughts.

OC, great first half, second half the story dips
badly. The majority of gameplay is pretty straightforward,
and can almost be "clicked through" in the manner of "Diablo".
7/10

SOU, I didn't like the story, and initially found some of battles
frustratingly difficult. After a lay-off of several months I
returned to the game with a new (proper?) approach, and finished
it. (I actually enjoyed the final "level" better than the rest of the game).
6/10

HOTU, fantastic, inventive, funny, and challenging. It pulls together
a few loose threads from the OC, and the range of choices at the end
is to be applauded.
9/10

Trying to sum up all of NWN's elements is difficult. Different people
are gonna like different aspects.

It's not as "epic" as Ultima 7 (Black Gate + Serpent Isle). It's not
as engaging as Baldur's Gate (1+2). It's not as freeform as Morrowind.
But it's not exactly alike any of the other games either, and can therefore
stand
equally alongside them.
It looks great, has great gameplay (mostly), and probably most importantly
straddles
the gap between old school and new RPG's. It's stories are varied (in
content
and quality), and the inclusion of a pretty good editor means that you can
create your own. I'm no expert, but a couple of hours can produce a pretty
good "level".

Would I replay the series? Probably not. But I would (and intend to) play
HOTU again with a different character. This I feel is the games great
strength.
You can create such diverse and wide ranging characters that will alter the
way
the game is played.
Hats off to the devs for making a great series. I recommend the OC and HOTU
to a
newbie, but SOU is probably enjoyed best by a dedicated fan.
8/10

"Gez" <gez.hartland@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Just finished OC, SOU, and HOTU! Here's my thoughts.
>
> OC, great first half, second half the story dips
> badly. The majority of gameplay is pretty straightforward,
> and can almost be "clicked through" in the manner of "Diablo".
> 7/10
>
> SOU, I didn't like the story, and initially found some of battles
> frustratingly difficult. After a lay-off of several months I
> returned to the game with a new (proper?) approach, and finished
> it. (I actually enjoyed the final "level" better than the rest of the
game).
> 6/10
>
> HOTU, fantastic, inventive, funny, and challenging. It pulls together
> a few loose threads from the OC, and the range of choices at the end
> is to be applauded.
> 9/10

What type character(s) did you play through this with?

Gez wrote:
> Would I replay the series? Probably not. But I would (and intend to) play
> HOTU again with a different character. This I feel is the games great
> strength.

Or, you could choose from over 3,000 fan-made adventures, some of which
are quite good and at least come close to the official campaigns in
overall quality and depth.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:11:08 +0000, Gez wrote:

> You can create such diverse and wide ranging characters that will alter the
> way the game is played.
Agree. One could take a shifter and have quit a unique experience
each time through.