Socket 939/AGP Upgrade

PICLARK

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hi guys (and gals),

Am going to be buying a whole new system in 18 months time...but am considering chucking a bit of cash at my existing system. I presently have an FX-53 CPU and an AGP ATI X800 PE graphics card. Would like to know your thoughts about sticking the fastest (socket 939) CPU in my Alienware box as well as one of those 1950 AGP cards (when the hit Australia).

I want a dual core CPU and I the 1950 is the fastest thing out there...don't want to go through all the agrovation of rebuilding my box with a new motherboard/memory etc.

Can you let me know what sort of performance up I'll get if if go from a X800 and FX-53 to a 1950 and a new fast dual core. My box is a standard Alienware box, will I need additional cooling for these new beasties?

PS I understand that a single core CPU will run slightly faster than a Dual core in single applications, but I am sure games etc will start utilising Dual core sooner rather than later...

PPS I'll be upgrading to Vista from day one (as I am a software developer and need to be up to speed asap)...yes I know the drivers may be ropey!

Much appreciated...

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
The fastest dual 939 you can get is a 4800+ or the opty version of that. If you are into overclocking get the otpy. These chips will not need more cooling than your fx53 if you are not overclocking. I however dont know anything about apg cards, so i wont talk about them.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I think nh484000 has the right idea with upgrading your CPU. Not sure if there is another 939 CPU that would work. Also, you might need to do the dualcore fix for it, as well, although, I am not 100% on that.

For your AGP choices, check out this link: THG AGP rundown

It has a comparsion of different AGP cards that you can choose from.

*edit*
Re-read what the OP asked, and looked around, but unfortunately could not find any real links showing any gains from a X800X GPU to the 1950. Sorry.

Good luck

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Do not base your decision on the link that NMDante posted. Those test were meant to show what happens when you put the cards in an old Athlon Xp 2500+ system, and hence the cards hare CPU bound to a greater degree. Just use the charts. Example:

x800 XT to x1950pro (HL)

Those test were done with a FX-60 which is close to a x2 4800+ (well close enough). If you want to know what help the cpu will be its difficult to say. You can look at the cpu charts

CPU FX-53 vs 4800+

Those were done with a x1900xtx which is faster than an x1950pro but still gives you an idea. In today's games don't expect to much though.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Nice find.

I didn't know that THG had a GPU chart, like the CPUs.

Yeah, ignore my entire post... LOL

*edit*
How do you know which processor is being used on these tests?
And how do you figure out which is AGP vs. PCI-x?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Yeah. But I hardly ever go to the GPU section. I don't upgrade my GPU as much as I do my CPU. Weird, since GPUs seem to push the envelope a lot quicker.

Heck, the last GPU upgrade I did was to the 7600GT from a X700. LOL

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Just wait 18 months,

or just get the 1950pro agp

or get a 939 motherboard that supports pci-e and get a pci-e card

or get an ASRock mother board that has an agp and pcie express slot on it.
Transfer to that board keep the current agp card then pick up a new 8800 mid range card when they come out and save it to match for a sli system when you build a new system. :wink: