I was experimenting, and accidentally changed the appearance of my icons --
specifically, the text identifying the icon. There used to be no background
color at all, and now there is a color background. I can only seem to change
the color of the background - I can't get rid of it or make it transparent.

How can I get the text description of my desktop icons to go back to where
the background is transparent?

Thanks,

Ok, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, and click on
the Settings button under Performance.
Under the first tab which is labeled Visual Effects,
there is a box with many options. Scroll down those
options and check the box next to "Use drop shadows for
icon labels on the desktop" Post back with the results.

Hi - There was unfortumately no change. The icon labels are still inside a
color rectangle.

My system restore is turned off, so I can't go back to what I had before I
accidentally gave some sort of command. Is there a "system default"? I am
wondering because I had not originally changed whatever came with the
computer when I bought it.

Thanks so much,

"Abel Diaz" wrote:

> Ok, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, and click on
> the Settings button under Performance.
> Under the first tab which is labeled Visual Effects,
> there is a box with many options. Scroll down those
> options and check the box next to "Use drop shadows for
> icon labels on the desktop" Post back with the results.

The only other option I can think of is to change your
Theme to the system default theme. Go to Control Panel,
Display, and under the Themes tab you have a drop down
box that gives options of Themes. The default is called
Windows XP.
Also under Visual Effects that I mentioned earlier,
select "Adjust for best appearance." I wish you luck.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 04:25:02 -0800, Rosemary wrote:

> Hi - There was unfortumately no change. The icon labels are still inside a
> color rectangle.

Some other things to check:
Right click the desktop and choose Arrange Icons by... If there is a check
next to Lock Web Items to Desktop, click to remove it.

Right click the desktop and select Properties. Click the Settings page.
Color resolution needs to be at least 16-bit. Preferably 32-bit.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User