New Laptop Very Slow Applying GPO Software

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

We have just bought a brand new HP compaq nx7010 laptop.

I have done all the windows updates and joined the machine to our domain.

We apply most of our software through GPO and have about 80 clients,
(including laptops) running win2000 or winXP, which we have successfully
applied the same exact same software packages.

The problem I am having with this one laptop is that it takes a very long
time to apply software installation packages.

It took over an hour to apply office2000 standard, sat at the "installing
managed software office 2k....." prompt with the hdd led flickering every
now and again.
It all installed OK but took ages.

Why should I be having problems with just this one laptop when all the other
machines installed OK very quickly??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

If it eventually installs, so the installation is OK, what's different about
this machine? Anti-virus version? Desktop firewall?
Anthony

"Marka" <marka@REMOVETH1Slamberteng.com> wrote in message
> We have just bought a brand new HP compaq nx7010 laptop.
>
> I have done all the windows updates and joined the machine to our domain.
>
> We apply most of our software through GPO and have about 80 clients,
> (including laptops) running win2000 or winXP, which we have successfully
> applied the same exact same software packages.
>
> The problem I am having with this one laptop is that it takes a very long
> time to apply software installation packages.
>
> It took over an hour to apply office2000 standard, sat at the "installing
> managed software office 2k....." prompt with the hdd led flickering every
> now and again.
> It all installed OK but took ages.
>

> Why should I be having problems with just this one laptop when all the
other
> machines installed OK very quickly??
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

"Marka" <marka@REMOVETH1Slamberteng.com> wrote in message news:<uc2Q1ZizEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> We have just bought a brand new HP compaq nx7010 laptop.
>
> I have done all the windows updates and joined the machine to our domain.
>
> We apply most of our software through GPO and have about 80 clients,
> (including laptops) running win2000 or winXP, which we have successfully
> applied the same exact same software packages.
>
> The problem I am having with this one laptop is that it takes a very long
> time to apply software installation packages.
>
> It took over an hour to apply office2000 standard, sat at the "installing
> managed software office 2k....." prompt with the hdd led flickering every
> now and again.
> It all installed OK but took ages.
>

> Why should I be having problems with just this one laptop when all the other
> machines installed OK very quickly??
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Mark

Whenever I have had problems like this, I find that I haven't added
the DNS Server to the TCP/IP settings on the new PC. Could it be that?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I would check two things, DNS client config forcing failover
delays (does not sound too likely as once found, the install
should not require more name resolutions), or more likely,
antivirus software slowing everything down.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA