Problems applying IE Settings with group policy

Hi,

I'm having problems when trying to apply IE settings by group policy to my
users. However, if I assign the user local admin rights it seems to work.
But obviously I'd rather avoid this. What I'm basically trying to do is
automatically assign the proxy settings. I don't quite understand why the
group policy requires local admin rights as this is something I can manually
do when logged on with just user rights. I've applied other policies (ie
changing desktop background) and this works fine.

I found mention of changing the policy to Preference Mode but this made no
difference.

When I check the Event Viewer it's giving me an error with Source:Userenv,
Event ID: 1091. I've found this is discussed in MS article KB823608 but this
doesn't seem to apply to me as I have a pure Windows 2003 Server domain with
XP (SP2) clients only. And also the error is on the clients not the server.

Does anyone have any ideas? The only mentions I can find about this in
newsgroups always refer to KB823608.

Thanks,

Curtis.

===================================
Please remove the X from email address when replying
===================================
10 answers Last reply
More about problems applying settings group policy

    Hi Curtis

    Are you redirecting Application Data? If so, this might be a known issue
    that Microsoft is currently investigating. Try turning off Application Data
    redirection if you have it in use and see what happens.

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xspacial.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having problems when trying to apply IE settings by group policy to my
    > users. However, if I assign the user local admin rights it seems to work.
    > But obviously I'd rather avoid this. What I'm basically trying to do is
    > automatically assign the proxy settings. I don't quite understand why the
    > group policy requires local admin rights as this is something I can
    > manually
    > do when logged on with just user rights. I've applied other policies (ie
    > changing desktop background) and this works fine.
    >
    > I found mention of changing the policy to Preference Mode but this made no
    > difference.
    >
    > When I check the Event Viewer it's giving me an error with Source:Userenv,
    > Event ID: 1091. I've found this is discussed in MS article KB823608 but
    > this
    > doesn't seem to apply to me as I have a pure Windows 2003 Server domain
    > with
    > XP (SP2) clients only. And also the error is on the clients not the
    > server.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas? The only mentions I can find about this in
    > newsgroups always refer to KB823608.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Curtis.
    >
    > ===================================
    > Please remove the X from email address when replying
    > ===================================

    Hi Mark,

    Thanks very much for the info. Removing the Application Data folder
    redirection has sorted out the problem. Where would be the best place for me
    to keep an eye open for the fix for this?

    Regards,

    Curtis.
    -------------------------------

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Curtis
    >
    > Are you redirecting Application Data? If so, this might be a known issue
    > that Microsoft is currently investigating. Try turning off Application
    > Data redirection if you have it in use and see what happens.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >
    > "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xspacial.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm having problems when trying to apply IE settings by group policy to
    >> my
    >> users. However, if I assign the user local admin rights it seems to work.
    >> But obviously I'd rather avoid this. What I'm basically trying to do is
    >> automatically assign the proxy settings. I don't quite understand why the
    >> group policy requires local admin rights as this is something I can
    >> manually
    >> do when logged on with just user rights. I've applied other policies (ie
    >> changing desktop background) and this works fine.
    >>
    >> I found mention of changing the policy to Preference Mode but this made
    >> no
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> When I check the Event Viewer it's giving me an error with
    >> Source:Userenv,
    >> Event ID: 1091. I've found this is discussed in MS article KB823608 but
    >> this
    >> doesn't seem to apply to me as I have a pure Windows 2003 Server domain
    >> with
    >> XP (SP2) clients only. And also the error is on the clients not the
    >> server.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas? The only mentions I can find about this in
    >> newsgroups always refer to KB823608.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Curtis.
    >>
    >> ===================================
    >> Please remove the X from email address when replying
    >> ===================================

    Hi Curtis

    If/when one is released, I'll post here but you might want to log a case
    with Microsoft so that they can monitor the issue and contact you directly
    when one is available.

    Kind regards
    --

    "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Thanks very much for the info. Removing the Application Data folder
    > redirection has sorted out the problem. Where would be the best place for
    > me to keep an eye open for the fix for this?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Curtis.
    > -------------------------------
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Curtis
    >>
    >> Are you redirecting Application Data? If so, this might be a known issue
    >> that Microsoft is currently investigating. Try turning off Application
    >> Data redirection if you have it in use and see what happens.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xspacial.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm having problems when trying to apply IE settings by group policy to
    >>> my
    >>> users. However, if I assign the user local admin rights it seems to
    >>> work.
    >>> But obviously I'd rather avoid this. What I'm basically trying to do is
    >>> automatically assign the proxy settings. I don't quite understand why
    >>> the
    >>> group policy requires local admin rights as this is something I can
    >>> manually
    >>> do when logged on with just user rights. I've applied other policies (ie
    >>> changing desktop background) and this works fine.
    >>>
    >>> I found mention of changing the policy to Preference Mode but this made
    >>> no
    >>> difference.
    >>>
    >>> When I check the Event Viewer it's giving me an error with
    >>> Source:Userenv,
    >>> Event ID: 1091. I've found this is discussed in MS article KB823608 but
    >>> this
    >>> doesn't seem to apply to me as I have a pure Windows 2003 Server domain
    >>> with
    >>> XP (SP2) clients only. And also the error is on the clients not the
    >>> server.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas? The only mentions I can find about this in
    >>> newsgroups always refer to KB823608.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Curtis.
    >>>
    >>> ===================================
    >>> Please remove the X from email address when replying
    >>> ===================================

    Hi Curtis

    There's a fix for this now - 888254. It requires a new registry key and
    values also. If you contact Microsoft, you'll be able to get the fix.

    Kind regards
    --

    > Hi Curtis
    >
    > If/when one is released, I'll post here but you might want to log a case
    > with Microsoft so that they can monitor the issue and contact you directly
    > when one is available.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >
    > "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi Mark,
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for the info. Removing the Application Data folder
    >> redirection has sorted out the problem. Where would be the best place for
    >> me to keep an eye open for the fix for this?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Curtis.
    >> -------------------------------
    >>
    >> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Curtis
    >>>
    >>> Are you redirecting Application Data? If so, this might be a known
    >>> issue that Microsoft is currently investigating. Try turning off
    >>> Application Data redirection if you have it in use and see what happens.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards
    >>> --
    >>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >>> Windows Platform Support Team
    >>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
    >>> email me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >>> rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xspacial.co.uk> wrote in message

    Hi Mark,

    Thanks for the update. Can you confirm the KB article? I've tried looking up
    888254 but I'm getting an error saying no documents match the search.

    Curtis.

    ============================

    > Hi Curtis
    >
    > There's a fix for this now - 888254. It requires a new registry key and
    > values also. If you contact Microsoft, you'll be able to get the fix.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Curtis
    >>
    >> If/when one is released, I'll post here but you might want to log a case
    >> with Microsoft so that they can monitor the issue and contact you
    >> directly when one is available.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Mark,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much for the info. Removing the Application Data folder
    >>> redirection has sorted out the problem. Where would be the best place
    >>> for me to keep an eye open for the fix for this?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Curtis.
    >>> -------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Curtis

    Yes this is the correct article number but it's not yet finished. You'll
    need to log a support incident with Microsoft to obtain the fix.

    Kind regards
    --

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Thanks for the update. Can you confirm the KB article? I've tried looking
    > up 888254 but I'm getting an error saying no documents match the search.
    >
    > Curtis.
    >
    > ============================
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Curtis
    >>
    >> There's a fix for this now - 888254. It requires a new registry key and
    >> values also. If you contact Microsoft, you'll be able to get the fix.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Curtis
    >>>
    >>> If/when one is released, I'll post here but you might want to log a case
    >>> with Microsoft so that they can monitor the issue and contact you
    >>> directly when one is available.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards
    >>> --
    >>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >>> Windows Platform Support Team
    >>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
    >>> email me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >>> rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Mark-
    I heard a rumor from someone in the UK that the fix was pulled (at least
    there). Do you know if that is the case?

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

    > Hi Curtis
    >
    > Yes this is the correct article number but it's not yet finished. You'll
    > need to log a support incident with Microsoft to obtain the fix.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >
    > "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi Mark,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the update. Can you confirm the KB article? I've tried looking
    >> up 888254 but I'm getting an error saying no documents match the search.
    >>
    >> Curtis.
    >>
    >> ============================
    >>
    >> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Curtis
    >>>
    >>> There's a fix for this now - 888254. It requires a new registry key and
    >>> values also. If you contact Microsoft, you'll be able to get the fix.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards
    >>> --
    >>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >>> Windows Platform Support Team
    >>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
    >>> email me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >>> rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Darren

    This isn't correct. The fix is available and as far as I know, there's no
    region to region differentiation.

    Kind regards
    --

    "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Mark-
    > I heard a rumor from someone in the UK that the fix was pulled (at least
    > there). Do you know if that is the case?
    >

    > --
    > Darren Mar-Elia
    > MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
    > Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information
    > Hub:
    > FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related
    >

    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Curtis
    >>
    >> Yes this is the correct article number but it's not yet finished. You'll
    >> need to log a support incident with Microsoft to obtain the fix.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Mark,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the update. Can you confirm the KB article? I've tried
    >>> looking up 888254 but I'm getting an error saying no documents match the
    >>> search.
    >>>
    >>> Curtis.
    >>>
    >>> ============================
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Mark,

    If it is available, please can you tell me where to find it? I've tried
    again today to look up KB article 888254 on the Microsoft website but am
    told this doesn't exist.

    Thanks,

    Curtis.

    ====================

    > Hi Darren
    >
    > This isn't correct. The fix is available and as far as I know, there's no
    > region to region differentiation.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >
    > "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Mark-
    >> I heard a rumor from someone in the UK that the fix was pulled (at least
    >> there). Do you know if that is the case?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Darren Mar-Elia
    >> MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
    >> Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information
    >> Hub:
    >> FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related
    >>

    >> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Curtis
    >>>
    >>> Yes this is the correct article number but it's not yet finished.
    >>> You'll need to log a support incident with Microsoft to obtain the fix.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards
    >>> --
    >>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >>> Windows Platform Support Team
    >>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>>
    >>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
    >>> email me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >>> rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Curtis Fray" <curtis.fray@Xbssmail.nhs.uk> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi Curtis

    You need to contact Microsoft in your region and log a support incident.

    Kind regards
    --

    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > If it is available, please can you tell me where to find it? I've tried
    > again today to look up KB article 888254 on the Microsoft website but am
    > told this doesn't exist.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Curtis.
    >
    > ====================
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Darren
    >>
    >> This isn't correct. The fix is available and as far as I know, there's
    >> no region to region differentiation.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    >> rights.
    >>
    >> "Darren Mar-Elia" <dmanonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:eevxh249EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >>> Mark-
    >>> I heard a rumor from someone in the UK that the fix was pulled (at least
    >>> there). Do you know if that is the case?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Darren Mar-Elia
    >>> MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
    >>> Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information
    >>> Hub:
    >>> FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related
    >>>

    >>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Policy Internet Explorer Windows