Computer Configuration

In Group Policy, computer configuration,
How to set a standard proxy setting & disable user from changing the proxy
setting regardless any user login.?

Hi Emyeu,

Thanks for the posting. There is a policy called "Make proxy settings per
machine" If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy
settings. They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.

Computer configuration -> Administrative tools -> Windows Components ->
internet explorer -> Make proxy settings per machine(rather than per-user)

I hope the above information will solve your problem.

Thanks,
sjhari@online.microsoft.com

Jan

I don't know if that answer was sufficient for that person, but we have a
further problem.

Originally we had setup proxy settings on a per-user basis on a PC, by going
into the Options in IE.. We are using a mixture of Win2000 and WinXP PCs in
a Win2000 domain, local user profiles. HTTP Access worked fine.

We then had a problem and needed to tighten up security on IE, so we altered
the Default Domain Policy setting on -

1) User Configuration, Windows Settings, Internet Explorer Maintenance,
Security, Security Zones and Content Ratings - imported higher security
settings on the Internet zone, setup some Restricted Sites for everyone
(with medium security setting)

2) Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components,
Internet Explorer, Make proxy settings per machine(rather than per-user) -
enabled

Now each user has no setting for HTTP Proxy in their Internet settings.

If the proxy settings are now per machine, how do you set them for the
machine? In the answer below you say " They must use the zones created for
all users of the computer." - what zones, and where are these created?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Jan

"S.J.Haribabu" <sjhari@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Emyeu,
>
> Thanks for the posting. There is a policy called "Make proxy settings per
> machine" If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy
> settings. They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
>
> Computer configuration -> Administrative tools -> Windows Components ->
> internet explorer -> Make proxy settings per machine(rather than per-user)
>
> I hope the above information will solve your problem.
>
> Thanks,
> sjhari@online.microsoft.com

rights.

Jan

I should add re: my previous posting - we need to set proxy settings per
machine because only certain machines are to have internet access, but
anyone who logs on to that machine should get the proxy settings, and
therefore have internet access. If the user logs onto a different machine,
they should not have internet access.

Regards