Heat Sinks or LCS if i'm NOT Overclocked?

architecture1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
If I am interested in the latest from intel, such as the Core 2 Duo E6600 (or higher) maybe the Quad Core, does it help to have higher end cooling for the CPU if i am not overclocking? Is it possible that it could hurt?

The stock coolers that come with the retail intel cpu's work well and are easy to install. If not overclocking, you need no more. That said, the add-on coolers can be more efficient, keeping your cpu adequately cool by using larger fans that are more quiet because they run at lower rpm's. Some add-on coolers are difficult to install, and a poorly installed cooler can cause unnoticed damage. Otherwise, I see no downside.

Almost... Cooler is better, untill the temperature gets below room temperature which can cause condensation and it's associated problems. Only refrigeration or peltier type coolers can cool below ambient. No heat sink and fan cooler will cause a problem.

Mondoman

Splendid
A better cooler never hurts.....and it can also be quieter in some cases....

Plus it gives you room to overclock later.....
Yes, but you need to be sure it really is "a better cooler." Most aftermarket CPU coolers for LGA775 do not blow air down onto the MB and out in all directions, as the OEM Intel and other "flower-style" coolers do. This airflow is often the primary cooling mechanism for the PWM and/or other components around the CPU, unless the MB maker has designed-in alternatives.
Thus, most aftermarket LGA775 CPU coolers are not "better coolers," but rather "different coolers".

Mondoman

Splendid
The stock coolers that come with the retail intel cpu's work well and are easy to install. If not overclocking, you need no more. That said, the add-on coolers can be more efficient, keeping your cpu adequately cool by using larger fans that are more quiet because they run at lower rpm's. Some add-on coolers are difficult to install, and a poorly installed cooler can cause unnoticed damage. Otherwise, I see no downside.
One should add that the Intel 4-pin retention mechanism for its LGA775 coolers is a poor design, in that it is notoriously easy to not-quite-fully install it, leading to elevated CPU temps. Such coolers need to be installed on the MB *before* the MB is installed in the case, so the MB can be supported from behind as the pins are pushed through.