Jornada hangs after power up

a b α HP
April 20, 2005 1:01:00 AM

Since yesterday my HP Jornada 565 would hang when I power it on. It's
operable for about 1 second after I press the ON button, then everything
would freeze. It still plays a sound when I tap on the screen, but the
screen is frozen. The only way to get it to work is to soft-reset it, then
it'll work as long as I don't turn it off. Once it's off, next time I turn
it on it'll hang again.

This has happened to me at least twice in the past. I ended up removing the
battery, reinstalling everything, and it'd work flawlessly for some random
period of time (a week, or months), then the "startup hang" problem would
return. I'm tired of soft and hard-resetting and would like a proper
solution to fix it once and for all.

I tried renaming \\Windows\StartUp in case any program is causing the
lockup, but that didn't do anything to the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

More about : jornada hangs power

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 20, 2005 1:23:02 AM

How large a storage card are you using? I found on my Jornada 567 that once I got up to a 1 GB CF card, I needed to always have a
card inserted in the MMC slot, or my device would hang up after waking from a power off. Currently, I'm using a 4GB CF card, so I
don't consider it a big deal.

"S." <x@x.x> wrote in message news:Xns963DDFF723BF0xxx@216.196.97.142...
> Since yesterday my HP Jornada 565 would hang when I power it on. It's
> operable for about 1 second after I press the ON button, then everything
> would freeze. It still plays a sound when I tap on the screen, but the
> screen is frozen. The only way to get it to work is to soft-reset it, then
> it'll work as long as I don't turn it off. Once it's off, next time I turn
> it on it'll hang again.
>
> This has happened to me at least twice in the past. I ended up removing the
> battery, reinstalling everything, and it'd work flawlessly for some random
> period of time (a week, or months), then the "startup hang" problem would
> return. I'm tired of soft and hard-resetting and would like a proper
> solution to fix it once and for all.
>
> I tried renaming \\Windows\StartUp in case any program is causing the
> lockup, but that didn't do anything to the problem.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 20, 2005 2:23:04 AM

"Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote in

> How large a storage card are you using? I found on my Jornada 567
> that once I got up to a 1 GB CF card, I needed to always have a card
> inserted in the MMC slot, or my device would hang up after waking from
> a power off. Currently, I'm using a 4GB CF card, so I don't consider
> it a big deal.

I don't use CF cards much, I mainly use the CF slot for the WiFi card.
However I tried powering it on with a 128MB CF card, WiFi card, or no
card inserted, and in all cases it still hangs. The WiFi LED didn't even
light up, as if it isn't receiving power.

Also I should mention that once the Jornada is in "limbo", even the
power off button doesn't work.

> "S." <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> Since yesterday my HP Jornada 565 would hang when I power it on. It's
>> operable for about 1 second after I press the ON button, then
>> everything would freeze. It still plays a sound when I tap on the
>> screen, but the screen is frozen. The only way to get it to work is
>> to soft-reset it, then it'll work as long as I don't turn it off.
>> Once it's off, next time I turn it on it'll hang again.
>>
>> This has happened to me at least twice in the past. I ended up
>> removing the battery, reinstalling everything, and it'd work
>> flawlessly for some random period of time (a week, or months), then
>> the "startup hang" problem would return. I'm tired of soft and
>> hard-resetting and would like a proper solution to fix it once and
>> for all.
>>
>> I tried renaming \\Windows\StartUp in case any program is causing the
>> lockup, but that didn't do anything to the problem.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.

a b α HP
April 20, 2005 2:40:41 AM

I would guess that you have some sort of software conflict going on, especially since you say that a hard reset solves the problem.
It will be difficult to pinpoint the problem, since it probably isn't due to any single application, just conflicts between
different ones. I'd suggest for starters to uninstall any Today screen add-ins, third party SIPs, and to disable as many startup
progrtam as you can.

"S." <x@x.x> wrote in message news:Xns963DEDE172C6Dxxx@216.196.97.142...
> "Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote in
>
> > How large a storage card are you using? I found on my Jornada 567
> > that once I got up to a 1 GB CF card, I needed to always have a card
> > inserted in the MMC slot, or my device would hang up after waking from
> > a power off. Currently, I'm using a 4GB CF card, so I don't consider
> > it a big deal.
>
> I don't use CF cards much, I mainly use the CF slot for the WiFi card.
> However I tried powering it on with a 128MB CF card, WiFi card, or no
> card inserted, and in all cases it still hangs. The WiFi LED didn't even
> light up, as if it isn't receiving power.
>
> Also I should mention that once the Jornada is in "limbo", even the
> power off button doesn't work.
>

> > "S." <x@x.x> wrote in message
> >> Since yesterday my HP Jornada 565 would hang when I power it on. It's
> >> operable for about 1 second after I press the ON button, then
> >> everything would freeze. It still plays a sound when I tap on the
> >> screen, but the screen is frozen. The only way to get it to work is
> >> to soft-reset it, then it'll work as long as I don't turn it off.
> >> Once it's off, next time I turn it on it'll hang again.
> >>
> >> This has happened to me at least twice in the past. I ended up
> >> removing the battery, reinstalling everything, and it'd work
> >> flawlessly for some random period of time (a week, or months), then
> >> the "startup hang" problem would return. I'm tired of soft and
> >> hard-resetting and would like a proper solution to fix it once and
> >> for all.
> >>
> >> I tried renaming \\Windows\StartUp in case any program is causing the
> >> lockup, but that didn't do anything to the problem.
> >>
> >> Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 20, 2005 3:49:46 AM

OK I found the culprit... as I was uninstalling programs one by one as
you suggested, the lockup went away after I removed WithMP3 1.52.

I have no idea why it was WithMP3, since I've been using it for weeks
without problems, and it doesn't seem to have any background startup
program loaded. Anyway, I'm now using PocketDivX Player as a replacement
and so far so good.

Thanks for the help.

> I would guess that you have some sort of software conflict going on,
> especially since you say that a hard reset solves the problem. It will
> be difficult to pinpoint the problem, since it probably isn't due to
> any single application, just conflicts between different ones. I'd
> suggest for starters to uninstall any Today screen add-ins, third
> party SIPs, and to disable as many startup progrtam as you can.
>

> "S." <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> "Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote in
>>
>> > How large a storage card are you using? I found on my Jornada 567
>> > that once I got up to a 1 GB CF card, I needed to always have a
>> > card inserted in the MMC slot, or my device would hang up after
>> > waking from a power off. Currently, I'm using a 4GB CF card, so I
>> > don't consider it a big deal.
>>
>> I don't use CF cards much, I mainly use the CF slot for the WiFi
>> card. However I tried powering it on with a 128MB CF card, WiFi card,
>> or no card inserted, and in all cases it still hangs. The WiFi LED
>> didn't even light up, as if it isn't receiving power.
>>
>> Also I should mention that once the Jornada is in "limbo", even the
>> power off button doesn't work.
>>

>> > "S." <x@x.x> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 20, 2005 4:06:44 AM

It does seem like an unlikely candidate to cause problems. Had you been using a lot of your RAM as storage? I find that if I go
over about 30MB used as storage memory, I start having problems on my 64MB Jornada. I'd guess that you wouldn't want to use more
than about 12MB (just a guess) on your Jornada 565 (32MB device). Memory starts getting fragmented.

!