Defrag gone

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Win XP HE, SP1
Follow-Up to Perform_maintain

Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
the XP defragmenter.
How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
Tx,
More about defrag gone

    When you install Diskeeper, it replaces the MMC standard defrag snap-in with
    it's own. Uninstalling should restore the standard snap-in, but didn't.
    Try reinstalling the Diskeeper trial, then uninstalling it again. After a
    reboot, check to see if Defrag is back. If not, you'll need to create the
    snap-in yourself.

    1) At the run command, type "MMC" (without the quotes)
    2) Click "File" then "Add/Remove Snap-in"
    3) Click the "Add" button
    4) Click "Disk Defragmenter" then "Add" then "Close"
    5) The Window should list "Disk Defragmenter" - if so, click "Ok", if not,
    repeat steps 3 & 4.
    6) Now click "File" then "Save as" and save your new MMC windows somewhere
    (this will save it to the start menu.

    This assumes that Diskeeper didn't damage or otherwise corrupt the Windows
    native disk defrag utility. (A utility, by the way, which is a "light"
    version of Diskeeper).

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    > Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >
    > Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    > I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    > I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
    > the XP defragmenter.
    > How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    > Tx,

    DJ,
    Tx for the precise info.
    Where (what path) should I save the MMC? Does it make a difference?
    Tx,
    DJ Borell wrote:
    > When you install Diskeeper, it replaces the MMC standard defrag snap-in
    > with it's own. Uninstalling should restore the standard snap-in, but
    > didn't. Try reinstalling the Diskeeper trial, then uninstalling it again.
    > After a reboot, check to see if Defrag is back. If not, you'll need to
    > create the snap-in yourself.
    >
    > 1) At the run command, type "MMC" (without the quotes)
    > 2) Click "File" then "Add/Remove Snap-in"
    > 3) Click the "Add" button
    > 4) Click "Disk Defragmenter" then "Add" then "Close"
    > 5) The Window should list "Disk Defragmenter" - if so, click "Ok", if not,
    > repeat steps 3 & 4.
    > 6) Now click "File" then "Save as" and save your new MMC windows somewhere
    > (this will save it to the start menu.
    >
    > This assumes that Diskeeper didn't damage or otherwise corrupt the Windows
    > native disk defrag utility. (A utility, by the way, which is a "light"
    > version of Diskeeper).
    >
    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,

    Hi saturnin02,

    Try the fix that is available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 291,
    left-hand side --> Restore Defrag Snap-In)

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    > Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >
    > Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    > I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    > I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
    > the XP defragmenter.
    > How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    > Tx,

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy (browser version) http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$hV7JlEFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    > Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >
    > Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    > I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    > I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
    > the XP defragmenter.
    > How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    > Tx,

    Patti, That's not available at the link u provided.
    Last fix is number 126 for me.

    Patti MacLeod wrote:
    > Hi saturnin02,
    >
    > Try the fix that is available here:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 291,
    > left-hand side --> Restore Defrag Snap-In)
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,

    Click Start/Run and type this command:

    regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    > Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >
    > Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    > I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    > I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
    > the XP defragmenter.
    > How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    > Tx,

    Type this in Start/Run:

    regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    > Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >
    > Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    > I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    > I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
    > the XP defragmenter.
    > How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    > Tx,

    Ramesh,
    What is that command going to do exactly?
    Will it fix the snap-in as provided by DJ Borell in this thread?
    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > Type this in Start/Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
    >

    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to start
    >the XP defragmenter.

    See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
    Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).

    --
    (tm)
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Try again. Line 291 is there for me.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Patti, That's not available at the link u provided.
    > Last fix is number 126 for me.
    >
    > Patti MacLeod wrote:
    >> Hi saturnin02,
    >>
    >> Try the fix that is available here:
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line
    >> 291,
    >> left-hand side --> Restore Defrag Snap-In)
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>

    >> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Win XP HE, SP1
    >>> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>>
    >>> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >>> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >>> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >>> start the XP defragmenter.
    >>> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >>> Tx,

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    DJ
    The the 4) you quoted is NOT available when I do 3) Click "Add".
    Would it be under Disk Management Tools, perhaps?
    Tx,
    DJ Borell wrote:
    > When you install Diskeeper, it replaces the MMC standard defrag snap-in
    > with it's own. Uninstalling should restore the standard snap-in, but
    > didn't. Try reinstalling the Diskeeper trial, then uninstalling it again.
    > After a reboot, check to see if Defrag is back. If not, you'll need to
    > create the snap-in yourself.
    >
    > 1) At the run command, type "MMC" (without the quotes)
    > 2) Click "File" then "Add/Remove Snap-in"
    > 3) Click the "Add" button
    > 4) Click "Disk Defragmenter" then "Add" then "Close"
    > 5) The Window should list "Disk Defragmenter" - if so, click "Ok", if not,
    > repeat steps 3 & 4.
    > 6) Now click "File" then "Save as" and save your new MMC windows somewhere
    > (this will save it to the start menu.
    >
    > This assumes that Diskeeper didn't damage or otherwise corrupt the Windows
    > native disk defrag utility. (A utility, by the way, which is a "light"
    > version of Diskeeper).
    >
    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Does not work.
    Patti MacLeod wrote:
    > Hi saturnin02,
    >
    > Try the fix that is available here:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 291,
    > left-hand side --> Restore Defrag Snap-In)
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ramesh,
    Both of these fail....
    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > Type this in Start/Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
    >

    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    In Windows Explorer, change folder options to Show hidden files and folders,
    then navigate to C:\Windows\inf folder. Locate the dfrg.inf file,
    right-click on it, then select Install. Following that, run regsvr32
    dfrgsnap.dll and then regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
    See if you can now successfully run Defragmenter.

    Regards,

    --

    > Does not work.
    > Patti MacLeod wrote:
    > > Hi saturnin02,
    > >
    > > Try the fix that is available here:
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 291,
    > > left-hand side --> Restore Defrag Snap-In)
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >

    > > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Win XP HE, SP1
    > >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    > >>
    > >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    > >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    > >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    > >> start the XP defragmenter.
    > >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    > >> Tx,

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    No failed.....

    Patti MacLeod wrote:
    > In Windows Explorer, change folder options to Show hidden files and
    > folders, then navigate to C:\Windows\inf folder. Locate the dfrg.inf file,
    > right-click on it, then select Install. Following that, run regsvr32
    > dfrgsnap.dll and then regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
    > See if you can now successfully run Defragmenter.
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Does not work.
    >> Patti MacLeod wrote:
    >>> Hi saturnin02,
    >>>
    >>> Try the fix that is available here:
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 291,
    >>> left-hand side --> Restore Defrag Snap-In)
    >>>

    >>> Regards,
    >>>

    >>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    THIS IS THE FIX given to me by Diskeeper:
    The uninstaller may not have restored the default defragmentation registry
    entry. You handle this manually by using the steps below.

    Note: in line 5, the string starts with C:. If you have Windows installed
    to a different partition, replace C with the letter of that partition.

    Before you begin any editing of the registry, always remember to update your
    emergency repair disk (ERD).

    1. Click Start, Run. Type "regedit" in the text box and click OK.
    2. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, double click SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then
    Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then MyComputer
    3. Click DefragPath
    4. In the right-hand pane, double click (Default). This will bring up and
    Edit String window.
    5a. For Windows XP: Change the string to read "mmc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc %c:" and click OK.
    5b. For Windows 2000: Change the string to read "C:\WINNT\system32\dfrg.msc
    %c:".

    Please Note: You may have your Windows 2000 or XP operating system installed
    to a different directory from the default of C:\WINNT (for 2000) C:\Windows
    (for XP). If so, modify the command above to reflect that correct directory
    location.

    Please Note: The difference between the two lines above is that the Windows
    XP string begins with "mmc.exe", and the Windows 2000 string does not.

    6. Close the registry.
    7. Open the Command Prompt; To open the command prompt, click Start, point
    to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    8. Type "CD \WINDOWS\system32" and press Enter. (the Note above applies here
    also)
    9. Type "Regsvr32.exe DfrgSnap.dll" and press Enter.
    10. A window will appear confirming the success of the registration; select
    OK.

    You should then be able to use the included default defragmenter in Windows
    2000 or XP.

    Now select START\PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\SYSTEMTOOLS and right click on
    DISKDEFRAGMENTER, then click Properties. Change the Target box to:

    %systemroot%\System32\dfrg.msc

    DJ Borell wrote:
    > When you install Diskeeper, it replaces the MMC standard defrag snap-in
    > with it's own. Uninstalling should restore the standard snap-in, but
    > didn't. Try reinstalling the Diskeeper trial, then uninstalling it again.
    > After a reboot, check to see if Defrag is back. If not, you'll need to
    > create the snap-in yourself.
    >
    > 1) At the run command, type "MMC" (without the quotes)
    > 2) Click "File" then "Add/Remove Snap-in"
    > 3) Click the "Add" button
    > 4) Click "Disk Defragmenter" then "Add" then "Close"
    > 5) The Window should list "Disk Defragmenter" - if so, click "Ok", if not,
    > repeat steps 3 & 4.
    > 6) Now click "File" then "Save as" and save your new MMC windows somewhere
    > (this will save it to the start menu.
    >
    > This assumes that Diskeeper didn't damage or otherwise corrupt the Windows
    > native disk defrag utility. (A utility, by the way, which is a "light"
    > version of Diskeeper).
    >
    > "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >> Follow-Up to Perform_maintain
    >>
    >> Hi, I had installed a defrag program called DiskKeeper--free trial.
    >> I uninstalled it and it screwed up the Microsoft Management Console.
    >> I get an error now that the "Snap-In" creation failed when trying to
    >> start the XP defragmenter.
    >> How do I fix this? Can I reinstall the Console, etc.? If so, how?
    >> Tx,
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Is there an error report in Event Viewer? Please provide Event ID,
    Source and description of error reported.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > No failed.....
    >
    > Patti MacLeod wrote:
    >> In Windows Explorer, change folder options to Show hidden files and
    >> folders, then navigate to C:\Windows\inf folder. Locate the dfrg.inf
    >> file,
    >> right-click on it, then select Install. Following that, run regsvr32
    >> dfrgsnap.dll and then regsvr32 dfrgui.dll
    >> See if you can now successfully run Defragmenter.
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>

    >> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Does not work.

Defragment Consoles Microsoft Windows XP