Jaded

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
i bought a psu with a pci-e connector but my video card used a 4 pin molex, does it possible to change the existing pci-e connector to 4 pin molex configuration? how about the 5v supply for the card (agp)?

has anyone try this before?

thanks

Jaded

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
thanks for the reply, yes you're right on tucking in the unused pci-e connector , but in order to do so i'm stretching out the supply rail that i used to powered my drives (hard drive & 2 optical drives). i want to create 2 independent supply rail, 1 to support my drives & the other one solely for my 9800pro.

the problem is, the psu that i bought does have an independent rail for graphic card but in pci-e connector but the ordinary 4 pin molex.

thanks

Jaded

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
does the agp card needs the 5 volt? if its not that i'll just cut/change the pci-e to molex connector

Jaded

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2004
my psu is enermax 460w with two pci-e connector but mine is agp. so i need a diagram to make splitter cable.

by the way sorry for my late reply

thewizard21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I beg to difference

I have the same exact problem, using an old enermax 435W + GF6800Ultra I've maxed out my 12V rail.
whenever I change the CPU's volt. from 1.65 onward I get serious drops in my +12V (moblie XP).

at around 1.75 which I use for 2.4GHz I have 11.9 Ideal, prompting Nvidia's messages of "had to reduce graphics card performance do to lack of power" and sometimes freezes. obviously I can't play as as soon as I start a 3d app my comp freeze.
of course when I put 1.65V cpu = ~2.2GHz (can't recall right now, something like that) CPU I have ~12.1V and am able to play without nvidia messages.
furthermore all my instabilities, if any, are from 3D and/or video-card related, and have started, if I recall correctly, after adding a dvd burner to my 2 raptors+1 pata HDs+dvdrom+dvd burner+fan farm rig.

so It seems I need a new PSU, only all correct PSUs come with different +12V rails (2-3-4 usually) divided as CPU, PCI-E (sometimes a couple), and all-peripherals (all other) 12V. meaning I will still lack on +12V as peripherals have around 16-17Amps.

so the only solution would be either a single rail +12V PSU or an adaptor from the 6-pin pci-e to molex.

now how to do that?, it is necessary!

P.S.
there's that TK 250W 12V 5.25" PSU: on newegg (just for example, not connected to them in anyways)
it too has 2Xpci-e 6-pin connectors.
it's relatively cheap and can resolve my problem but for those damn pci-e plugs!

care for a suggestion?

thewizard21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
but what are the rails? 12v1 connected to what and 12v2 connected to what, that's the problem.

it doesn't do me any good if I have a whole empty pci-e rail(!) to do squat with... incase one of the 12v rails connected solo to the pci-e.

edit:
i've checked your psu101 and follower the eXtreme PSU Calculator v2.0:

System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: Athlon XP-M 2600+ 2000 MHz Barton
Overclocked: 2400 MHz, 2.75 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
Video Type: Single Card

IDE HDD 7200 rpm: 1 HDD
SCSI HDD 10,000 rpm: 2 HDDs

DVD-ROM Drive: 1 Drive
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

USB: 2 Devices
Fan Controller: Yes

Fans
Regular: 5 Fans 80mm; 1 Fan 92mm; 1 Fan 120mm;
High Performance: 2 Fans 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 30 %

Total: 668 Watts
if I change the mobo to hi-end it's 685W and I've taken into account in the fan count the two 1*80 and 1*92 psu fans..

P.S.
I'm terribly sorry for the hijack.

thewizard21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I'm a thread stealer...

1. the zalman 600 is the same as the ocz 700 you've sugested, should it suffice?

2. how about the ThermalTake 750?

3. the TT 750 have 4 virtual 12V rails, I know the difference between rails and connections obviously, how come I should only look at the total +12V amps and totally disregard the individual rails wiring, what is the mining of indevidualty then?

4. the TT 750 has 16 guage wiring, like you suggested.

5. I can probebly get the TT cheaper (not as cheap as the zalman 600).

and finally:
6. shouldn't it be possible to convert the pci-e 12v on Thermaltake W0099RU ATX12V 250 Watts because it's a lot cheaper, that's what we're all here about, or is there another similar product with mulex.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
I beg to difference

I have the same exact problem, using an old enermax 435W + GF6800Ultra I've maxed out my 12V rail.
whenever I change the CPU's volt. from 1.65 onward I get serious drops in my +12V (moblie XP).

at around 1.75 which I use for 2.4GHz I have 11.9 Ideal, prompting Nvidia's messages of "had to reduce graphics card performance do to lack of power" and sometimes freezes. obviously I can't play as as soon as I start a 3d app my comp freeze.
of course when I put 1.65V cpu = ~2.2GHz (can't recall right now, something like that) CPU I have ~12.1V and am able to play without nvidia messages.
furthermore all my instabilities, if any, are from 3D and/or video-card related, and have started, if I recall correctly, after adding a dvd burner to my 2 raptors+1 pata HDs+dvdrom+dvd burner+fan farm rig.

so It seems I need a new PSU, only all correct PSUs come with different +12V rails (2-3-4 usually) divided as CPU, PCI-E (sometimes a couple), and all-peripherals (all other) 12V. meaning I will still lack on +12V as peripherals have around 16-17Amps.

so the only solution would be either a single rail +12V PSU or an adaptor from the 6-pin pci-e to molex.

now how to do that?, it is necessary!

P.S.
there's that TK 250W 12V 5.25" PSU: on newegg (just for example, not connected to them in anyways)
it too has 2Xpci-e 6-pin connectors.
it's relatively cheap and can resolve my problem but for those damn pci-e plugs!

care for a suggestion?

He/you need to replace the PSU. I just switched out my Enermax 600W on Tuesday to an Antec TRuePower 650W Trio. My prob was that I couldn't OC my E6600 to 3.6 ghz with my 7800 GTX card in it. As soon as I tried to run Counter Strike Source, it would reset the comp. I was overloading one of the rails, or it was just on it's way out. Regardless, the Antec has it running fine @ 3.6 ghz.

Blow your stuff up trying to perform surgery, or just get the right part 8)

Stuntzii

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I have similar problem and am wondering if it is safe to mod the pci-e connector like he suggested as I am not buying a new psu i jut got this one.

I will buy a new system eventually but i do not have money now. I have

athlon xp 3000+ barton
asus a7n8x-e
1GB 512x2 kingston bh-5
geforce 5900
3hd 1 dvd

my old psu was an antec 350w(18A 12V). which i had my system clocked at 2300mhz. It is now broken from abuse (long story)

new psu-- antec 430w dual 12v(16Ax2 i think). cannot raise over stock core voltage(system will shut off as soon as any game starts or even booting windows). it is for sure the psu. i should've got the 500w single rail but i didnt and im not spending any more money on this old thing.

so can i just cut the wires and put on a molex, if its not going to fry my s*** im doing it. thanks 4 the help

Stuntzii

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
"Generally the CPU and motherboard power connectors are attached to one +12v rail while the PCI-e and molex are on the other. Now this isn't always the case. It will very widly from one manufacture to another."

So if its not the case and my pci-e is the only thing on the 12V2 then my 430w psu is worse than the 350 i had before. or is it never like that?

my exact psu is an antec earthwatts 430w. after reading the best psu lists tho maybe i don't care so much about this whole thing. ill be sure to get one of those for my new system. thanks for the info man.

Killer_JBI

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
I just switched out my Enermax 600W on Tuesday to an Antec TRuePower 650W Trio. My prob was that I couldn't OC my E6600 to 3.6 ghz with my 7800 GTX card in it. As soon as I tried to run Counter Strike Source, it would reset the comp. I was overloading one of the rails, or it was just on it's way out. Regardless, the Antec has it running fine @ 3.6 ghz.

Im in a similar situation to the above

Ive just brought a ANTEC truepower Trio TP3-650 made up of three rails, rail 1 and 2 are for HDD, CD ROMS Mainboard / Fans etc, the 3rd rail is for two PCI-E Cards.......

Ive got a AGP Card, so i cant use this Rail to power my card, and rail 1 and 2 , theres no juice left to keep my machine stable.

Ive had to decrease my CPU clock to stop the PC resetting.... i want to use this rail, so i can get the PC back upto speed....

ANY one got a wireing diagram for the PCI-e Plug from the PSU, so i can make an adaptor or where i can purchase an said item...

The PCIE converter will be needed to be the one to go from the PSU PCIE cable and convert it into a molex plug,

has anyone managed to source one yet....

THX in advance, nice to know there are people in the same situation