using GP to turn off dynamic registration

Machines: XP SP1
Domain: Wink2K server, SP4
ADMs: XP Sp2

I am attempting to keep computers in the domain from using dynamic
registration. We let DHCP, which runs on OS400 take care of that instead. I
have enabled the policy which disables dynamic registration however the
computer still conflicts with the DHCP server, the end result being no A
record. However, if I manually go to the machine and uncheck the "register
this computers connection in DNS", it works fine. WHat is the difference in
those two methods of disabling?

Have you looked into this KB?

How to Disable Windows 2000 Dynamic Domain Name System Registrations with
Group Policy
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294832

BR,
Denis

"Jon Viehe" wrote:

> Machines: XP SP1
> Domain: Wink2K server, SP4
> ADMs: XP Sp2
>
> I am attempting to keep computers in the domain from using dynamic
> registration. We let DHCP, which runs on OS400 take care of that instead. I
> have enabled the policy which disables dynamic registration however the
> computer still conflicts with the DHCP server, the end result being no A
> record. However, if I manually go to the machine and uncheck the "register
> this computers connection in DNS", it works fine. WHat is the difference in
> those two methods of disabling?

Yes, but as the document explains, that policy will not override the
checkbox in the DNS tab, which is what Im trying to disable.

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <DenisWongHongKong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:B2085803-B1DB-4E36-B7B6-153583361BB1@microsoft.com...