Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How about LCD's for the HDTV stuff?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 3:23:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Any good recommendations?
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))

More about : lcd hdtv stuff

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:47:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

~consul wrote:
> Any good recommendations?

Direct-view or rear-projection?

--
David G.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:47:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

David G. wrote:
> ~consul wrote:
>>Any good recommendations?
> Direct-view or rear-projection?

Direct view.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
Related resources
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:42:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

~consul wrote:
> David G. wrote:
>> ~consul wrote:
>>> Any good recommendations?
>> Direct-view or rear-projection?
>
> Direct view.

I'd buy the Dell 17" HD set for $499 if I needed a small one. Larger
sets are way overpriced in my opinion. Sharp Aquos (SP?) sets get pretty
good reviews if I remember correctly.

--
David G.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 6:08:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

David G. wrote:
> ~consul wrote:
> I'd buy the Dell 17" HD set for $499 if I needed a small one. Larger
> sets are way overpriced in my opinion. Sharp Aquos (SP?) sets get pretty
> good reviews if I remember correctly.

A lot of folks talk about the contrast ratio, for the blackest blacks, whitest white. :) 
So the Dell 17" Widescreen LCD TV says it is 400:1. I know I've seen other sets, like big
end plasmas with the ratios up to 1600:1, though it seems the average for a 42" plasma was
around 1000:1, from looking on the web. Is 400:1 too far low?
I'm going to be watching this thing in an apartment, about 6 feet from the couch.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 11:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

~consul wrote:
> David G. wrote:
>> ~consul wrote:
>> I'd buy the Dell 17" HD set for $499 if I needed a small one. Larger
>> sets are way overpriced in my opinion. Sharp Aquos (SP?) sets get
>> pretty good reviews if I remember correctly.
>
> A lot of folks talk about the contrast ratio, for the blackest
> blacks, whitest white. :)  So the Dell 17" Widescreen LCD TV says it
> is 400:1. I know I've seen other sets, like big end plasmas with the
> ratios up to 1600:1, though it seems the average for a 42" plasma was
> around 1000:1, from looking on the web. Is 400:1 too far low?
> I'm going to be watching this thing in an apartment, about 6 feet
> from the couch.

You are not going to get decent black levels with most direct view LCD
sets. Don't be mislead by the contrast ratio. It's just the difference
between the darkest shade of black the set can display and whitest
white. It does nothing to tell you how dark the blacks really are.

For example, if I told you an LCD set could only display dark gray as
the black but the whites were so bright you could burn your eyes, the
set might have a contrast ratio of 4000:1. On the other hand a CRT-based
set does not display whites as bright, but it can display very dark
blacks and may have a contrast ratio of 400:1. Most would consider the
CRT to have a better picture.

There is a lot more than contrast ratio: color decoders, viewing angle,
picture size, and price to name a few. Audition the sets you are
interested in at a quality AV shop, not a superstore. Then, if you can't
haggle the price at the AV shop to where you're comfortable, go buy it
at a superstore.

But don't be surprised if you pretty much hate the direct-view LCD
picture with NTSC and even DVDs. A friend just paid $1,000 for a 17"
widescreen set from RCA or Zenith and picture quality does not look
great even with DVDs. Haven't seen it with HD content, but do you really
need HD with a 17" picture?


--
David G.
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 9:09:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

~consul wrote:
> Any good recommendations?

Yeah, get a DLP.

Jeff B
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:49:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

jeff b wrote:
> ~consul wrote:
>> Any good recommendations?
> Yeah, get a DLP.

No space in an apartment, the living room is only 10 by 10. I'd like the keep the TV stuff
to about 1-2 feet max from the wall, as I keep the center all open. Couch will be 6 feet
from the screen.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
!