http proxy settings per machine not user

Jan

We need some PCs to have internet access, and any user who logs on to that
machine should get the http proxy settings, and therefore have internet
access. If the user logs onto a different machine, they should not have
internet access.

To begin with, we entered the http proxy settings on a per-user basis on
each PC, by going
into the Options in IE.. We are using a mixture of Win2000 and WinXP PCs in
a Win2000 domain, with local user profiles. Internet access worked fine on
these PCs using the http proxy via NAT on the firewall.

In view of the recent security flaws, we decided to tighten up security on
IE, so we altered
the Default Domain Policy -

User Configuration, Windows Settings, Internet Explorer Maintenance,
Security, Security Zones and Content Ratings - we imported higher security
settings on the Internet zone, with certain websites in the Restricted Sites
zone using medium security setting

We then thought that it would be useful if the http proxy settings could be
done once on the PC, rather than for each new user who needs to use internet
on it. So we altered the Default Domain Policy again -

Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components,
Internet Explorer, Make proxy settings per machine(rather than per-user) -
enabled

After refreshing group policy, users have no internet access, and the
previous http proxy setting had disappeared.

If the proxy settings are now per machine, how do you set them for the
machine? In the explanation of this policy it says

"If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
They must use the zones created for all users of the computer."

- so I'm wondering what these zones are, and where are they created? I've
looked through all the computer configuration settings on Group Policy, but
can't find anywhere to enter a proxy setting.

Many thanks for any ideas.

Jan

The proxy setting is set under the User Config part. Try to set it again and
refresh your policy.

BR,
Denis