desktop icons

Hi all,

Is it possible to prevent users from deleting icons and
other shortcuts on the desktop? If so, please how ?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons

    If you implement mandatory roaming profiles, changes will not be persistent.
    Otherwise change the ntfs permissions to the user's desktop folder in their
    user profile under documents and settings to be read/list/execute only. That
    could also be done with a Group Policy user configuration logon script for a
    large number of users if need be. --- Steve

    <chv@anon.postalias> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to prevent users from deleting icons and
    > other shortcuts on the desktop? If so, please how ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Correct. I agree the direct way is to use mandatory roaming profiles or
    change the NTFS permission.

    Another workaround is to put the shortcut on the desktop toolbar, and
    enable the following policy:

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop

    Enable "Prevent adding, dragging, dropping and closing teh taskbar's
    toobars"

    This policy prevents users from manipulating desktop toolbars. If you
    enable this setting, users cannot add or remove toolbars from the desktop.
    Also, users cannot drag toolbars on to or off of docked toolbars.

    Note: If users have added or removed toolbars, this setting prevents them
    from restoring the default configuration.

    Any update, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    >Subject: Re: desktop icons
    >Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:53:55 GMT
    >
    >If you implement mandatory roaming profiles, changes will not be
    persistent.
    >Otherwise change the ntfs permissions to the user's desktop folder in
    their
    >user profile under documents and settings to be read/list/execute only.
    That
    >could also be done with a Group Policy user configuration logon script for
    >large number of users if need be. --- Steve
    >

    ><chv@anon.postalias> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to prevent users from deleting icons and
    >> other shortcuts on the desktop? If so, please how ?
    >>
    >> Thanks

Policy Desktops Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows