Expanding knowledge of Group Policy

Jordan

Hello,

Where can I get a good reference to start learning more
practises and procedures to group policy? It has been a
while since I have played with it in college, and now I
have windows 2003 boxes, but I have not applied group
policy settings to them, so I would like to start putting
more features/restrictions on them.

Regards,
Jordan

See the Windows 2003 Deployment Kit. You can download the whole thing or
individual chapters. In particular see the section on "Designing a Managed
Environment" in the link below. Make sure you install the Group Policy
Management Console right away as it is a whole lot better than the old way
used in W2K. The Windows 2003 Security Guide is a must read in my opinion
also, much of which is based on using Group Policy and security
emplates.. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8a2643c1-0685-4d89-b655-521ea6c7b4db&displaylang=en

"Jordan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Where can I get a good reference to start learning more
> practises and procedures to group policy? It has been a
> while since I have played with it in college, and now I
> have windows 2003 boxes, but I have not applied group
> policy settings to them, so I would like to start putting
> more features/restrictions on them.
>
> Regards,
> Jordan

You may also checkout
http://www.microsoft.com/seminar/events/webcasts/ondemand.mspx
Technet webcasts are in the middle of a 14 part series on group policies.

--
Glenn L

CCNA, MCSE (2000,2003) + Security
> See the Windows 2003 Deployment Kit. You can download the whole thing or
> individual chapters. In particular see the section on "Designing a Managed
> Environment" in the link below. Make sure you install the Group Policy
> Management Console right away as it is a whole lot better than the old way
> used in W2K. The Windows 2003 Security Guide is a must read in my opinion
> also, much of which is based on using Group Policy and security
> mplates.. --- Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8a2643c1-0685-4d89-b655-521ea6c7b4db&displaylang=en
> -- Windows 2003 Security Guide.
>

> "Jordan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Where can I get a good reference to start learning more
>> practises and procedures to group policy? It has been a
>> while since I have played with it in college, and now I
>> have windows 2003 boxes, but I have not applied group
>> policy settings to them, so I would like to start putting
>> more features/restrictions on them.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jordan

Hi Jordan

Windows Help is a good resource. The following might be useful to you also:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/csws2003.mspx

There's plenty on the Microsoft web site too.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team