Windows Explorer error in My Computer and Desktop

I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right click,
or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
Windows Explorer Error.

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience." AppNAme: explorer.exe AppVer:
6.0.2900.2180 ModName: shellext.dll ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset:00001e31.

I must be "inside" one of my drives for the error to pop up. If I just
double click My Computer, I can use the file menu and right click. I
tried installing Service Pack 2 hoping it would fix the problem, but it
has not.

Any help would be great!!
4 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer error computer desktop

    Is your Windows preinstalled on your computer or do you have a Windows
    retail cd?

    I suggest that you run the System File Checker tool by going to Start>Run
    and typing "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and note the space after sfc).

    <brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right click,
    > or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
    > Windows Explorer Error.
    >
    > "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    > sorry for the inconvenience." AppNAme: explorer.exe AppVer:
    > 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: shellext.dll ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset:00001e31.
    >
    > I must be "inside" one of my drives for the error to pop up. If I just
    > double click My Computer, I can use the file menu and right click. I
    > tried installing Service Pack 2 hoping it would fix the problem, but it
    > has not.
    >
    > Any help would be great!!

    brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right click,
    >or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
    >Windows Explorer Error.

    This may come from a software running in the background. Start here:
    "How to Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434).

    --
    (tm)

    Thanks guys.... I tried sfc /scannow but I still get the error. Will
    try the Advanced Clean-Boot next. If I load in safe mode or in another
    profile I still have the error.

    Thorsten Matzner wrote:
    > brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right
    click,
    > >or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
    > >Windows Explorer Error.
    >
    > This may come from a software running in the background. Start here:
    > "How to Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434).
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    Have you added any new hardware lately?

    > Thanks guys.... I tried sfc /scannow but I still get the error. Will
    > try the Advanced Clean-Boot next. If I load in safe mode or in another
    > profile I still have the error.
    >
    > Thorsten Matzner wrote:
    >> brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right
    > click,
    >> >or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
    >> >Windows Explorer Error.
    >>
    >> This may come from a software running in the background. Start here:
    >> "How to Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP"
    >> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434).
    >>
    >> --
    >> (tm)

Windows Explorer Desktops Computers Windows XP