Windows Explorer error in My Computer and Desktop

I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right click,
or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
Windows Explorer Error.

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience." AppNAme: explorer.exe AppVer:
6.0.2900.2180 ModName: shellext.dll ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset:00001e31.

I must be "inside" one of my drives for the error to pop up. If I just
double click My Computer, I can use the file menu and right click. I
tried installing Service Pack 2 hoping it would fix the problem, but it
has not.

Any help would be great!!

Is your Windows preinstalled on your computer or do you have a Windows
retail cd?

I suggest that you run the System File Checker tool by going to Start>Run
and typing "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and note the space after sfc).

<brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right click,
> or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
> Windows Explorer Error.
>
> "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience." AppNAme: explorer.exe AppVer:
> 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: shellext.dll ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset:00001e31.
>
> I must be "inside" one of my drives for the error to pop up. If I just
> double click My Computer, I can use the file menu and right click. I
> tried installing Service Pack 2 hoping it would fix the problem, but it
> has not.
>
> Any help would be great!!

brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com wrote:

>I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right click,
>or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
>Windows Explorer Error.

This may come from a software running in the background. Start here:
"How to Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434).

--
(tm)

Thanks guys.... I tried sfc /scannow but I still get the error. Will
try the Advanced Clean-Boot next. If I load in safe mode or in another
profile I still have the error.

Thorsten Matzner wrote:
> brad.schoolmeyer@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >I have Windows XP (SP1). Now whenever I try to copy/paste, right
click,
> >or use the File menu in My Computer or Windows Explorer I receive a
> >Windows Explorer Error.
>
> This may come from a software running in the background. Start here:
> "How to Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434).
>
> --
> (tm)

Have you added any new hardware lately?