IE Policy

I have a network running windows 2000 servers ith a mix of 2000, XP and NT
clients. I have recently implemented a new proxy and therefore need to
change the proxy details for all the users. I have set the new proxy in the
user settings in the default domain policy and this has taken on a number of
machines but some will not take, i have changed the proxy manually on the
machines but they revert back after the machine is re-booted. any ideas
would be appreciated and this is causing me a real headache

Cheers
--
Garry Drinkall
Broadband Implementation Officer

Hi Garry.

I have not implemented that on the scale you have but here are some thoughts
as you asked for "any ideas".

Users that you want to change the setting for must be using W2K/XP Pro
computers and under the scope of influence of the policy. From your
description of changes reverting back it sounds as if some users may have a
different Group Policy applied to them for proxy settings. You can use the
gpresult command while logged onto a computer as a user experiencing this to
see exactly what user policies are applying to a user and the last time the
policy was applied. The /v switch will give much more detailed info. I also
suggest installing the Group Policy Management Console on an XP Pro computer
that you consider secure [ you need to logon as domain admin] and use it to
track down policy problems. It is extremely helpful and can tell exactly
what GPO's are applying a setting and using RSOP in logging or planning mode
is a great tool also.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx --- GPMC

If you changed the policy at the domain level, it is possible there is
overriding user policy to users in an OU or if users are in multiple OU's
the policy may need to be applied at each OU. There is also a Group
Policy/computer configuration/administrative templates/Windows
components/Internet Explorer for Internet Explorer to make proxy changes
apply to all users on the same computer which may or may not be helpful to
you.

Hopefully this will give you something to explore. --- Steve