Which to get...............XP Home or Pro

I realize this may not be the right group for this question.
But........soooo many choices.

Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't boot
up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.

Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some data
files.

Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP Home or
Pro.
--
Boro
8 answers Last reply

    There are specific utilities or tools for data recovery.

    XP in all its versions doesn't have a file recovery utility.

    "Chas" wrote:

    > I realize this may not be the right group for this question.
    > But........soooo many choices.
    >
    > Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't boot
    > up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.
    >
    > Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
    > really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some data
    > files.
    >
    > Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP Home or
    > Pro.
    > --
    > Boro

    There is no 'best' version of XP. There is only the version that fulfills
    your interests.

    Here is a comparison page on the versions of XP.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    If, after reviewing that, you still can't decide, Pro is the safest choice
    since it does everything Home does and more.

    Home is designed as a stand-alone system. Pro is designed as a business
    client system, but some home users who like to do more than just casual
    things prefer Pro over Home. Pro has security, networking, and other
    software that are just not in Home. If your computer interests are
    expanding and you like to explore with your computer, then consider Pro.
    The cheapest route is not necessarily the right route. The right route is
    the OS you think you will be most comfortable with.

    Good luck.

    "Chas" <Chas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I realize this may not be the right group for this question.
    > But........soooo many choices.
    >
    > Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't
    > boot
    > up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.
    >
    > Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
    > really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some
    > data
    > files.
    >
    > Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP Home
    > or
    > Pro.
    > --
    > Boro

    Either, there's not much in it for a home user.

    Go for the cheapest option , bearing in mind that if the disks are damaged,
    nothing may be able to recover the data.

    "Chas" <Chas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I realize this may not be the right group for this question.
    > But........soooo many choices.
    >
    > Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't
    boot
    > up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.
    >
    > Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
    > really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some
    data
    > files.
    >
    > Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP Home
    or
    > Pro.
    > --
    > Boro

    This statement is not true as when considering _SECURITY_.

    Neil wrote:
    >> Either, there's not much in it for a home user.
    >>
    >> Go for the cheapest option , bearing in mind that if the disks are
    >> damaged, nothing may be able to recover the data.
    >>

    >> "Chas" <Chas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I realize this may not be the right group for this question.
    >>> But........soooo many choices.
    >>>
    >>> Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't
    >>> boot up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.
    >>>
    >>> Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
    >>> really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some
    >>> data files.
    >>>
    >>> Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP
    >>> Home or Pro.
    >>> --
    >>> Boro

    Security fore what?

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message news:OPSVNQqEFHA.2052@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > This statement is not true as when considering _SECURITY_.
    >
    > Neil wrote:
    >>> Either, there's not much in it for a home user.
    >>>
    >>> Go for the cheapest option , bearing in mind that if the disks are
    >>> damaged, nothing may be able to recover the data.
    >>>

    >>> "Chas" <Chas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    What are you planning to do with the OS? If your thinking is that
    installing one or the other over your current setup will fix the problem,
    the answer to your question is neither. That last thing you should do when
    faced with a problem such as this is to install a new operating system.
    That should not be done until the problems are fixed.

    Assuming the problem is in file structure and clusters, look into disk
    utilities, such as Perfect Disk from Raxco, www.raxco.com. If you suspect a
    problem with your disk and given what you have mentioned, you should check
    the disk integrity, go to the hard drive manufacturer's website, look for
    the diagnostic tools, make note of their instructions for creating boot disk
    with those tools and run their diagnostic.

    Installing a new OS over your current setup, given the problems you've
    mentioned might very well make matters worse, certainly won't fix your
    issues and might cost your data.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Chas" <Chas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I realize this may not be the right group for this question.
    > But........soooo many choices.
    >
    > Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't
    > boot
    > up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.
    >
    > Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
    > really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some
    > data
    > files.
    >
    > Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP Home
    > or
    > Pro.
    > --
    > Boro

    __HACKERS__

    Chas wrote:

    >Been using Win98SE for the last 5 years. Over the weekend, PC wouldn't boot
    >up. Scandisk found some bad clusters that it can't repair.
    >
    >Have 2 HD's on existing PC with alot of applications and data. I don't
    >really need to use the applications as much as I need to retrieve some data
    >files.
    >
    >Which system would be best to get that will allow me to do that? XP Home or
    >Pro.

    See http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    for the list of things that are in Pro only. In addition Pro will
    support ten simultaneous connections in a network - Home only five

    If you see no need for any of these Pro only matters, save money and get
    Home - the systems are otherwise identical

Microsoft Windows XP