Dvan10

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
ASUS P5N-E SLI MB
e6400
Crucial Ballistix 1GB x 2
Samsung 160GB sata HD
Corsair 620HX PSU

Put this new build together and can't read from CDrom to load XP or run ASUS CD. I have double checked cables and jumpers everythings seems to be right. BIOS detects all drives where they should be. When I set boot priority to CDrom and start up I get :

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Anyone know whats gone wrong here?

Dvan10

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
How many CD-ROM drive you have ?

Asus CD in general aren't bootable.

I have a CDROM set as master and a DVDROM as slave. Tried my OEM windows XP sp1 disk and a slipstreamed sp2 disk that I made both give DISK BOOT FAILURE.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Asus usually give an options for which device should boot when you just turn on your PC, usually the key to press is F8. This option show up just after the message "press del to setup".

So, press F8 key, then there'll be a window show up. Your devices will be listed such HDD, CDROM or DVD ROM etc. Choose carefully in which device you've put your XP installation CD.

If you had correctly choose the device and still boot failure, then there'll be some possibilities such cd aren't bootable/broken/scratch, or your cdrom can't read the cd.

Sloehand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
The first thing I would do is try a third bootable CD just for the heck of it. Not to question your ability to make a bootable CD that slipstreams SP2, but hey, strange things happen. I might also try switching your DVD and CD drives as your boot device and see if you can boot from the other.

Personally I found that often strange things happen with CD's that can't be accounted for. One computer can read a CD or DVD that another computer can't... can boot off a bootable DVD or CD, but not the other (in a combo drive)... things like that.