Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Time Warner HDTV cable box and SVGA monitors?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2004 2:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Is it possible to use an SVGA monitor with Time Warner's HDTV box? I just
bought a nice flat screen monitor and want to use my old 19" monitor to
watch HDTV broadcasts.


--
"It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
everything goes dead wrong.".
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2004 2:26:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On 2004-05-25 15:10:44 -0700, "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> said:

> Is it possible to use an SVGA monitor with Time Warner's HDTV box? I just
> bought a nice flat screen monitor and want to use my old 19" monitor to
> watch HDTV broadcasts.

If the cable box has a VGA output, or the monitor accepts component
video, then yes. If you're tinking DVI, then probably not, because the
DVI output on the cable box is copy protected. The connectors may look
the same, but the data over them isn't.

--
There are no monkeys in my email.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2004 2:56:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Seth Mattinen" <sethm@rollermonkeysnet.us> wrote in message
news:2004052515263675249%sethm@rollermonkeysnetus...
> On 2004-05-25 15:10:44 -0700, "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > Is it possible to use an SVGA monitor with Time Warner's HDTV box? I
just
> > bought a nice flat screen monitor and want to use my old 19" monitor to
> > watch HDTV broadcasts.
>
> If the cable box has a VGA output, or the monitor accepts component
> video, then yes. If you're tinking DVI, then probably not, because the
> DVI output on the cable box is copy protected. The connectors may look
> the same, but the data over them isn't.
>
Has anyone in this group tried it?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2004 8:46:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

The Scientific Atlanta HD boxes don't have VGA out (firewire and DVI ports
are present but not currently software activated), so you'd need a
conversion box to take the component video to VGA


"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:EvPsc.19521$wO4.261@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Is it possible to use an SVGA monitor with Time Warner's HDTV box? I just
> bought a nice flat screen monitor and want to use my old 19" monitor to
> watch HDTV broadcasts.
>
>
> --
> "It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
> But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
> everything goes dead wrong.".
>
>
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 26, 2004 9:27:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"MTI" <mark@mc-carter.com> wrote in message
news:WiVsc.3538$hM4.1738@twister.socal.rr.com...
> The Scientific Atlanta HD boxes don't have VGA out (firewire and DVI ports
> are present but not currently software activated), so you'd need a
> conversion box to take the component video to VGA

Would there be a loss of quality if I used a conversion box? How would the
results compare with an HDTV of the same size?
!