Internet Explorer Maintenance Settings

We have some users where the policies set under internet explorer
maintenance settings aren't being applied (specifically the homepage,
favorites, and Browser Title). Other policies defined in the same GPO are
being applied.

Should the IE settings be defined in a different GPO?

TIA.

-Brian

Hi Brian

Are the client machines Windows XP SP2? This might be related to an issue
that Microsoft is looking at where Internet Explorer Maintenance Policy is
not applied correctly when Application Data is redirected on this platform.

Otherwise, no ... the settings can be part of the same policy. Keep in mind
that they only apply the first time or when the maintenance parts of the
policy change. You can alter this behaviour with:

306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message
> We have some users where the policies set under internet explorer
> maintenance settings aren't being applied (specifically the homepage,
> favorites, and Browser Title). Other policies defined in the same GPO are
> being applied.
>
> Should the IE settings be defined in a different GPO?
>
> TIA.
>
> -Brian

Thanks Mark. That seems to explain it. The machines that are (aren't)
affected are all SP2. We also just began redirecting application data over
the holiday, hence the recent problems of the settings not being applied.

Thanks for the information.

-Brian

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Brian
>
> Are the client machines Windows XP SP2? This might be related to an issue
> that Microsoft is looking at where Internet Explorer Maintenance Policy is
> not applied correctly when Application Data is redirected on this
> platform.
>
> Otherwise, no ... the settings can be part of the same policy. Keep in
> mind that they only apply the first time or when the maintenance parts of
> the policy change. You can alter this behaviour with:
>
> 306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>
> "Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message
>> We have some users where the policies set under internet explorer
>> maintenance settings aren't being applied (specifically the homepage,
>> favorites, and Browser Title). Other policies defined in the same GPO
>> are being applied.
>>
>> Should the IE settings be defined in a different GPO?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> -Brian

Hi Brian

No problem. When I know more about the result of the investigation of the
issue, I'll post to the groups but for a reliable update on what's
happening, I'd suggest logging a case with Microsoft.

Kind regards
--

> Thanks Mark. That seems to explain it. The machines that are (aren't)
> affected are all SP2. We also just began redirecting application data
> over the holiday, hence the recent problems of the settings not being
> applied.
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> -Brian
>

> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian
>>
>> Are the client machines Windows XP SP2? This might be related to an
>> issue that Microsoft is looking at where Internet Explorer Maintenance
>> Policy is not applied correctly when Application Data is redirected on
>> this platform.
>>
>> Otherwise, no ... the settings can be part of the same policy. Keep in
>> mind that they only apply the first time or when the maintenance parts of
>> the policy change. You can alter this behaviour with:
>>
>> 306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915
>>
>> Kind regards
>> --
>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>> Windows Platform Support Team
>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>
>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
>> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>> rights.
>>
>> "Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message
>>> We have some users where the policies set under internet explorer
>>> maintenance settings aren't being applied (specifically the homepage,
>>> favorites, and Browser Title). Other policies defined in the same GPO
>>> are being applied.
>>>
>>> Should the IE settings be defined in a different GPO?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> -Brian

Hi Brian

There's a fix for this now - 888254. It requires a new registry key and
values also. If you contact Microsoft, you'll be able to get the fix.

Kind regards
--

> Hi Brian
>
> No problem. When I know more about the result of the investigation of the
> issue, I'll post to the groups but for a reliable update on what's
> happening, I'd suggest logging a case with Microsoft.
>
> Kind regards
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>
> "Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Mark. That seems to explain it. The machines that are (aren't)
>> affected are all SP2. We also just began redirecting application data
>> over the holiday, hence the recent problems of the settings not being
>> applied.
>>
>> Thanks for the information.
>>
>> -Brian
>>

>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Brian
>>>
>>> Are the client machines Windows XP SP2? This might be related to an
>>> issue that Microsoft is looking at where Internet Explorer Maintenance
>>> Policy is not applied correctly when Application Data is redirected on
>>> this platform.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, no ... the settings can be part of the same policy. Keep in
>>> mind that they only apply the first time or when the maintenance parts
>>> of the policy change. You can alter this behaviour with:
>>>
>>> 306915 Internet Explorer Maintenance Group Policies Do Not Apply During
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306915
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> --
>>> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
>>> Windows Platform Support Team
>>> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>>>
>>> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to
>>> email me; I'll post a response back to the group.

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Brian Hoops" <bhoops@remove.stoughtonutilities.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the follow up Mark. Been awhile since I've checked back!