disable right click on icons

Marino

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Hi all,
one of my server is a terminal server for application and my client
remotely connect to it to run a specific application.
it's my main concern giving the users only the ability to run that
particular application and nothing else.
the server is a windows 2000 domain controller.
the users, while connected to the server, need to open more than one
windows of the application, but the application ( a custom one) has no
file menu (no "open new windows" option available)and so specifing in
AD which application to start at log on isn't useful
I decided to use gpo.
I created an OU in which I've been creating my terminal users.
I've applied a gpo, having the following restictions, among others
things:
Under
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
Explorer
1- Remove File menu from Windows Explorer Enabled
2- Remove Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive Enabled
3- Remove Search button from Windows Explorer enabled
4- Remove Security Tab Enabled
5- Remove Windows Explorer's default context menu Enabled

as a result of this gpo, my users won't see any icon on the desktop,
no context menu will show up while right-clicking on the desktop or on
the taskbar, but if he/she righ-clicks on the only icon in the quick
launch bar the context menu shows up and for instance he/she could
send the link by e-mail or rename the link. moreover the context menu
comes up when my users right-click on icons on the systray
Any help?
Marino

Marino wrote:
> Hi all,
> one of my server is a terminal server for application and my client
> remotely connect to it to run a specific application.
> it's my main concern giving the users only the ability to run that
> particular application and nothing else.
> the server is a windows 2000 domain controller.
> the users, while connected to the server, need to open more than one
> windows of the application, but the application ( a custom one) has no
> file menu (no "open new windows" option available)and so specifing in
> AD which application to start at log on isn't useful
> I decided to use gpo.
> I created an OU in which I've been creating my terminal users.
> I've applied a gpo, having the following restictions, among others
> things:
> Under
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows
> Explorer
> 1- Remove File menu from Windows Explorer Enabled
> 2- Remove Map Network Drive and Disconnect Network Drive Enabled
> 3- Remove Search button from Windows Explorer enabled
> 4- Remove Security Tab Enabled
> 5- Remove Windows Explorer's default context menu Enabled
>

> as a result of this gpo, my users won't see any icon on the desktop,
> no context menu will show up while right-clicking on the desktop or on
> the taskbar, but if he/she righ-clicks on the only icon in the quick
> launch bar the context menu shows up and for instance he/she could
> send the link by e-mail or rename the link. moreover the context menu
> comes up when my users right-click on icons on the systray
> Any help?
> Marino

Perhaps OT, but have you checked out WSPortal at
http://www.terminal-services.net/ ? Allows you to publish apps a la Citrix.