remote assistance GPO not applying

Hi

I have applied a GPO to an ou containing a PC and set permissions so that
machine can apply the policy.
The GPO changes this setting : Comp Config\Administrative Templates\Remote
Assistance\Offer Remote Assistance
The setting is "Allow helpers to remotely control the computer."

I have checked RSOP and it shows as applied, but I can not connect, using my
Remote Desktop MMC.

I was under the impression this would prompt the user to approve or
dissallow the connection.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Thanks
More about remote assistance applying

    Offer Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are two different things.

    Offer Remote Assistance allows a connection to an already existing user
    session on the target computer. Remote Desktop takes over the target
    computer when there is no one logged on at it - you can force a logoff if
    there is someone already logged on.

    To Offer someone Remote Assistance:

    Click Start, Help and Support
    key the word offer in the Search box press Enter
    click on Offer Remote Assistance

    Or, create a shortcut with this target:

    hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm

    Note that if the target computer does not have Windows XP SP2 installed, you
    will also need to Enable Solicited Remote Assistance in the GPO (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826088).

    If the computer has XP SP2 and the Windows Firewall is ON, see also
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555179.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "huff-n-puff" <huffnpuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have applied a GPO to an ou containing a PC and set permissions so that
    > machine can apply the policy.
    > The GPO changes this setting : Comp Config\Administrative
    > Templates\Remote
    > Assistance\Offer Remote Assistance
    > The setting is "Allow helpers to remotely control the computer."
    >
    > I have checked RSOP and it shows as applied, but I can not connect, using
    > my
    > Remote Desktop MMC.
    >
    > I was under the impression this would prompt the user to approve or
    > dissallow the connection.
    >
    > Anyone have an idea why this is happening?
    >
    > Thanks

    Bruce

    Thanks for the url to offer assistance that is just what I wanted, but how
    would I have known about it? Did I miss something?

    "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

    > Offer Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are two different things.
    >
    > Offer Remote Assistance allows a connection to an already existing user
    > session on the target computer. Remote Desktop takes over the target
    > computer when there is no one logged on at it - you can force a logoff if
    > there is someone already logged on.
    >
    > To Offer someone Remote Assistance:
    >
    > Click Start, Help and Support
    > key the word offer in the Search box press Enter
    > click on Offer Remote Assistance
    >
    > Or, create a shortcut with this target:
    >
    > hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm
    >
    > Note that if the target computer does not have Windows XP SP2 installed, you
    > will also need to Enable Solicited Remote Assistance in the GPO (see
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826088).
    >
    > If the computer has XP SP2 and the Windows Firewall is ON, see also
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555179.
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "huff-n-puff" <huffnpuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have applied a GPO to an ou containing a PC and set permissions so that
    > > machine can apply the policy.
    > > The GPO changes this setting : Comp Config\Administrative
    > > Templates\Remote
    > > Assistance\Offer Remote Assistance
    > > The setting is "Allow helpers to remotely control the computer."
    > >
    > > I have checked RSOP and it shows as applied, but I can not connect, using
    > > my
    > > Remote Desktop MMC.
    > >
    > > I was under the impression this would prompt the user to approve or
    > > dissallow the connection.
    > >
    > > Anyone have an idea why this is happening?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    To tell you the truth, I didn't figure that one out. Someone else where I
    work did that. It is certainly not obvious. If I remember a presentation I
    was at earlier this year, the Small Business Server 2003 installs an icon
    for Offer Remote Assistance automatically - certainly a step forward.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    > Bruce
    >
    > Thanks for the url to offer assistance that is just what I wanted, but how
    > would I have known about it? Did I miss something?

    > "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> Offer Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are two different things.
    >>
    >> Offer Remote Assistance allows a connection to an already existing user
    >> session on the target computer. Remote Desktop takes over the target
    >> computer when there is no one logged on at it - you can force a logoff if
    >> there is someone already logged on.
    >>
    >> To Offer someone Remote Assistance:
    >>
    >> Click Start, Help and Support
    >> key the word offer in the Search box press Enter
    >> click on Offer Remote Assistance
    >>
    >> Or, create a shortcut with this target:
    >>
    >> hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm
    >>
    >> Note that if the target computer does not have Windows XP SP2 installed,
    >> you
    >> will also need to Enable Solicited Remote Assistance in the GPO (see
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826088).
    >>
    >> If the computer has XP SP2 and the Windows Firewall is ON, see also
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555179.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >>
    >> It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >>

    >> "huff-n-puff" <huffnpuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I have applied a GPO to an ou containing a PC and set permissions so
    >> > that
    >> > machine can apply the policy.
    >> > The GPO changes this setting : Comp Config\Administrative
    >> > Templates\Remote
    >> > Assistance\Offer Remote Assistance
    >> > The setting is "Allow helpers to remotely control the computer."
    >> >
    >> > I have checked RSOP and it shows as applied, but I can not connect,
    >> > using
    >> > my
    >> > Remote Desktop MMC.
    >> >
    >> > I was under the impression this would prompt the user to approve or
    >> > dissallow the connection.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have an idea why this is happening?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

Policy Connection Windows