Sign in with
Your question

cpu not overheating but freezing ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2007 7:13:45 AM

Hey guys,
I have a C2D 6400 system that i built a couple of months ago and everything was working fine, but as of the last few days strange things have started to happen. Like every 5 min or so ( sometimes more often ) the computer sort of freezes but i can still use the mouse and stuff, and swap between apps, but everything that has to do with processing seems to stop for a few seconds (like rendering video, resizing images, selecting text etc...).
I've checked cpu and video card temps and they're fine, but it does seem to happen more after the comp's been running for a while. Just got a new PSU and that didn't solve the problem... Does that sound like a hardware issue to you ? Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is getting very frustrating !

Specs : c2d 6400 , 7900 gs, 3x512 ram, asus p5ld2 mobo...

Thanks in advance...
January 24, 2007 11:05:54 AM

I agree you should ensure there's no evil programs running first.

Failing that, Download Memtest86 and run it for a few hours. If there's no software issue it could be some faulty memory.
January 24, 2007 11:26:02 AM

Also, check your HD for errors, if there are try to repair them. Seen bad HD display that type of behavior. (Check cables to the drive)
Related resources
January 24, 2007 11:55:25 AM

Yes, sounds like it could be a HDD issue..
Use SeaTools.. (It should work with any HDD, irrespective of the make)
January 24, 2007 11:56:29 AM

3x512 memory? Try taking one of the sticks out, some mobos dont play well like that. Are you oc'n? Are all the sticks the same?
January 24, 2007 1:14:08 PM

When you get in windows use the task manager and look how much cpu usage and memory the svchost.exe process is using.You must have only svchost.exe and not svch0st.exe.If svchost.exe is using too much memory and cpu try to disable the automatic updates from windows xp.
January 24, 2007 1:33:57 PM

MemTest them memory for errors.
January 24, 2007 1:47:40 PM

All the suggestions above are good ones, and you should look into them as possible issues. I have a quick question though. Are you by chance using a SoundBlaster X-Fi?

When I first built my system I was having the exact same problem with a few seconds of lag during appliation switches. It turns out that the cause was DLLML.exe, which is a non-essential process related to the X-Fi. I used Spybot to remove the startup registry keys for RCSystem and AudioDrvEmulator, both of which are calls to DLLML.exe, and all was well again.
January 24, 2007 5:17:07 PM

Thanks for all that guys.

Yeah, I did initially thought that it was a virus, and bitDefender did find a trojan, but supposedly removed it and nothing changed.

The fact that it just started going funny tells me there's no incompatibility in the system, so i guess it's either RAM, HDD or virus...

I have run memtest but admittedly not for hours, so i'll try that.
Also I used chkdsk on my 2 hds and it didn't find anything. I'll try that SeaTools...

Failing that i could always reinstall XP but i am reluctant as I only installed it a couple of months ago !

Thanks for your help all...
January 25, 2007 9:41:25 AM

:? Might try going to the Panda Antivirus website and using their free Activescan. Your program may have removed the trojan but look it up to see if you have to repair the damage the trojan may have done. Your antivirus "repair' may have been incomplete
Good luck :D 
January 25, 2007 10:46:58 AM

sounds to me like a memory fault, in which casem running prime 95 or equiv may not show any faults, seeing as it took 3 months to show during normal use.

run a whole pc burnin program like burnin test pro if u can afford it, or fire up as many different benchmaking apps to heat up every component. leave it to cook for 6- 10 hrs (yes, that long, stubbon memory faults can take ages to show). as soon as that is completed, try an of the following

-windows memroy diagnostic
-burn in test pro
-prime95
-cpu burn
-memtest

keep the PC as hot as possible/under as much stress as possible, even if it dictates turning the heating on to 35C

even if the apps do not "report an error", them crashing, lagging excessively may indicate a fault. stubborn/hard to fidn errors may never show up on prime95 running for days, yet if the pc is subjectd to heat and stress for an extended time, they will

--------------------------------------------

All this may seem excesive but i ahd to do eactly this to my pc.

... stupid kingston... first and last time i buy there stuff

i spent 48hr burning in in a 30C room with heating. prime 95 was clean. the only indication was memtest always freezing at a certain test, and bit5.1 locking up
January 25, 2007 11:48:08 AM

Software issue.
January 25, 2007 4:04:55 PM

I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but you might want to take a look in the windows event viewer. Often there will be entries in there that can lead you to the problem.
January 25, 2007 5:21:52 PM

Thanks guys, I might try all that.
I have tried to render some video yesterday with the task manager open on the performance tab, and here's what i see :

For about a minute, CPU used at 99%, video progressing fine, then for about 10sec, cpu falls to 0% - 1% , the progress of the rendering stops, all HD activity stops. Then back to normal for about a minute, and so on, in a cycle ! It seems that some softs cope with it fine, just stop and start, and some like Premiere Pro, just crash for good at the 1st pause.

What the f*** is happening ? I still don't even know if it's software or hardware... Did more virus scans in safe mode, nothing. Tested the hd with seatools, it said it found an error in the NTFS data but didn't tell me how to fix it. Chkdisk doesn't find anything...

So i guess I might test the ram, or remove one of the stick at a time...
Man this is frustrating !
!