setting user groups

I want to remove some user/groups that are in the power user group. Can I
do this with gpo for XP?
Alternatively, I like to create a restricted group with the priveliges of a
restricted user(can't load programs). I can figure out how to make the
restricted group but, I don't know what "switches" to set.

circa Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:14:42 GMT, in
microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy, halteach
(hal_Sandick@yahoo.com) said,

> I want to remove some user/groups that are in the power user group. Can I
> do this with gpo for XP?

Restricted Groups in Group Policy will allow you to do this, but
you'll probably want to provide more specific information about your
objective- do you want the Power Users group to look the same on all
workstations in question, or are you looking to customize each one
differently?

> Alternatively, I like to create a restricted group with the priveliges of a
> restricted user(can't load programs). I can figure out how to make the
> restricted group but, I don't know what "switches" to set.

By default, members of the Users group can't install much in the way
of software (assuming this is what you mean by "load programs); by
not making your users members of Power Users/Administrators/etc.,
you're likely already achieving your goal. :)

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Laura (geek wench? ;-)

Thanks for the reply.

I want to remove a particular group from the power users group on each
machine. And yes, I'd like the power users to look the same on all work
stations.

I think the local users group will give me what I'm looking for.

Question:

Let's say there is a domain group named domain\Geese. In that group is a
user named domain\Goose. If domain\geese is placed in the local power
users' group and domain\goose is placed in the local users' group which set
of permissions will domain\goose operate under? sorry if this a basic
question.

regards,

Hal

"Laura A. Robinson" <geekwench@snippit.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> circa Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:14:42 GMT, in
> microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy, halteach
> (hal_Sandick@yahoo.com) said,
>>
>> I want to remove some user/groups that are in the power user group. Can
>> do this with gpo for XP?
>
> Restricted Groups in Group Policy will allow you to do this, but
> you'll probably want to provide more specific information about your
> objective- do you want the Power Users group to look the same on all
> workstations in question, or are you looking to customize each one
> differently?
>
>> Alternatively, I like to create a restricted group with the priveliges of
>> restricted user(can't load programs). I can figure out how to make the
>> restricted group but, I don't know what "switches" to set.
>
> By default, members of the Users group can't install much in the way
> of software (assuming this is what you mean by "load programs); by
> not making your users members of Power Users/Administrators/etc.,
> you're likely already achieving your goal. :)
>
> Laura
> --
> Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
> -Oscar Wilde

TRENDING THREADS