Et Tu, Wi-Fi Alliance?

Tags:
  • Article Discussion
  • Tim
  • WiFi
  • Certification
Last response: in Toms Network
August 30, 2006 3:32:19 PM

Think yesterday\'s announcement about draft 11n product certification was a shocker? Tim Higgins thinks its just all about the Benjamins.

More about : alliance

August 30, 2006 4:24:05 PM

Makes the transitions from a to b to g look painless. These guys get the midlle of a doughnut from me until a standard is certified and the hardware is tested and it actually works at something reasonably close to the speeds and reliabilitiy claimed. Still have occasional problems with compatibility of adaptors/routers/access points among diffent vendors for b and g and this is years AFTER certification. Not interested in paying for the privelege of getting shafted.
August 30, 2006 6:11:38 PM

Yeah, lessee, we're supposed to pay for:

B
G
proprietary G enhancements
Mimo
Pre-N
Draft-N
Draft-N-to-Draft-1.0
Certified-Draft-N-to-Draft-2.0
[...]
Real-N (what are they going to call it when it finally happens?)

I'm waiting for Real-N, once they've got all the bugs and interoperability issues worked out, and they produce a product that won't destroy nearby G networks. G (heck, even B) is good enough for most laptops. Even in some new construction this summer I'm putting in G APs.

Then I'm waiting for Tom's Hardware to review the APs. 8*)
September 1, 2006 11:43:22 PM

Sometimes I wander if the Wi-Fi certification does any good at all.

I have never seen any notebooks equipped with Intel Wireless come with Wi-Fi certification(s). and at the same time, I have had the most wirelss problems with Intel Wireless modules.

It seems that Intel dont really care about WI-FI at all. Maybe the Wi-Fi certification isnt even worth while.
October 16, 2006 4:33:43 PM

I'm not supprised. These are the same people who developed static WEP way back in the 90's and insisted it was the security be-all to end all.

As long as the most important thing these vendors develop to is what they can get away with printing on a glossy best-buy/compusa end-cap display then we will get more and more of this trash.

Unfortunately, since they are blasting this junk out into all the consumer outlets, the risk of them destroying the available spectrum is high.

Spread the word. Buy only IEEE ratified standard products.
October 23, 2006 8:28:08 AM

Quote:
Sometimes I wander if the Wi-Fi certification does any good at all.

I have never seen any notebooks equipped with Intel Wireless come with Wi-Fi certification(s). and at the same time, I have had the most wirelss problems with Intel Wireless modules.

It seems that Intel dont really care about WI-FI at all. Maybe the Wi-Fi certification isnt even worth while.

well erm, check the wifi alliances page, intel has several certified adapters.

anyhow, erm, i'm making my own and first wireless network at home. I'm going with A. While your all hogging up the 2.4ghz spectrum, I'll be enjoying crystal clear, interference free 5ghz frequency ;) 
!